Hi everyone,

I've just installed the VFRness on my dear 2001.

The voltage is very nice and stable now (Thank you again Tightwad!) but that is not the point of this thread. I am really curious about your numbers while under load.

I have done some measurements on battery to test the minimum Volts the system can produce, volts at idle  and volts at 5K rpm.

So can you please share your numbers?

Situation N.1

Ignition OFF (bike cold), voltmeter on the battery terminals

Situation N.2

Ignition ON, engine ON (bike warm at idle RPMs), voltmeter on the battery terminals

Situation N.3

Ignition ON, engine ON (bike warm at steady 5000 RPMs), voltmeter on the battery terminals

Situation N.4

Ignition ON, engine ON (bike warm at idle RPMs), voltmeter on the battery terminals AND with lights on (front and back while in hi-beam and with brake lights on)+indicator (while lit)

Only remaining drains are the fan (but I don´t think anybody wants to wait for it to turn on) and the horn (which would be annoying to the surrounding area so let's skip that as well)

1) 12,77V

2) 14,33V

3) 14,33V

4) 12,30V

• Member Contributer

I should start out by stating that I don't have filament bulbs in my 99 5G (all LED), I do have the original wiring, and the RR is not original (part code suggests it came from a Ducati) and my voltmeter is across the battery terminals. My lights (head/tail/instruments) are always on.

1. No idea, VM is wired through a relay that comes on with ignition. I do see 12.2V with the ignition/lights on but the engine stopped.

2. 14.2V

3. 14.2V

4. 14.1V

The only time I see less than 14.1V when riding is if I have heated grips on or the fan comes on. 

IMO 12.3 at idle with just lights on is pretty low and probably not enough to charge the battery, so not a good thing if you spend too long in traffic. 

You forgot bike running at 5000 rpm with hi beams on.

That's what the manual specifies for checking the system.

For the moment, don't run the bike at idle with him beams on or you'll flatten the battery.

7 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

You forgot bike running at 5000 rpm with hi beams on.

I remember 14,3 V at 4000 rpm. (I have done the whole "Drill" with no issues whatsoever) 

I just wanted to know how low on volts I cen get the bike which is in situation number 4.  And I am curious how low can others get.

12 hours ago, Terry said:

I should start out by stating that I don't have filament bulbs in my 99 5G (all LED), I do have the original wiring, and the RR is not original (part code suggests it came from a Ducati) and my voltmeter is across the battery terminals. My lights (head/tail/instruments) are always on.

1. No idea, VM is wired through a relay that comes on with ignition. I do see 12.2V with the ignition/lights on but the engine stopped.

2. 14.2V

3. 14.2V

4. 14.1V

The only time I see less than 14.1V when riding is if I have heated grips on or the fan comes on. 

IMO 12.3 at idle with just lights on is pretty low and probably not enough to charge the battery, so not a good thing if you spend too long in traffic. 

Hmm, interesting.

I would like to know if the high volts are because of the VM placemet or because of the bulbs. Maybe I will get some in the future. 

Do you have LEds in your dash as well or just taillights, indicators etc?

Btw: even the front lights are LEDS? How are they? Do you have photos?

• Member Contributer

I have an answer about LED headlights. I've had Cree LED headlights (from HighPerformanceBulbs) on my fifth for a couple of years. I think they work fabulously. There is a picture in my maxswell album and the subject has been discussed in several threads on this forum. I highly recommend them for their conspicuity enhancement. I detect more people notice me both coming toward me and those I'm behind or overtaking. And no indications I'm blinding to oncoming traffic.

On 3/9/2018 at 3:15 PM, MaxSwell said:

I have an answer about LED headlights. I've had Cree LED headlights (from HighPerformanceBulbs) on my fifth for a couple of years. I think they work fabulously. There is a picture in my maxswell album and the subject has been discussed in several threads on this forum. I highly recommend them for their conspicuity enhancement. I detect more people notice me both coming toward me and those I'm behind or overtaking. And no indications I'm blinding to oncoming traffic.

Thanks Max, I was just thinking about that yesterday. 

On a 5th gen, which bulbs for the dash? I really need to put new bulbs there and I want leds

• Member Contributer

I have replaced bulbs in the dash (meter panel) but only oem. I've never look into LEDs for that.

• Member Contributer
On 3/9/2018 at 9:22 PM, SportTouringCZ said:

Hmm, interesting.

I would like to know if the high volts are because of the VM placemet or because of the bulbs. Maybe I will get some in the future. 

Do you have LEds in your dash as well or just taillights, indicators etc?

Btw: even the front lights are LEDS? How are they? Do you have photos?

I wouldn't be too hung up on a difference between 14.33 and 14.2; different voltmeters and different RR's would be my guess. The important thing is how stable the readings are. My VM is connected via a relay directly to the battery terminals so I would not expect any significant voltage drop in the circuit. I do have LED's in my headlights, indicators and taillights but not in the instruments. These are the headlight bulbs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-H4-9003-PHILIPS-CSP-LED-Chips-Car-Headlight-Bulbs-25W-Hi-Lo-beam-6500K-IP65-/292471971962?hash=item4418b0207a

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

OK so sit n.4, how often does anyone, sit with engine running, bike stopped, with high beam & brake lights plus indicator on & for how long ?  All vehicle charging systems sap power, so are designed to provide sufficient power for NORMAL use ! Which basically does not include full electrical load whilst stationary for any amount of time. That is why all systems have a battery, to provide additional electrical supply on the rare occasion you operate outside normal parameters & of course to provide the power for electric staring 😀

just ride it & enjoy it 😎

Archived