8G first gear restriction?

• Member Contributer

Not that I'm aware of, but have noticed with a cool engine acceleration is restricted, not sure if it's only first gear, just seems to labour a bit, and doesn't respond well to wide throttle opening (not in VTEC rpm or temp), but it's good as gold once it's warmed up. Was also wondering if others experienced this. Not something I remember the 6th. gen would do!

P.S. Was referring to Non VTEC operation and aware that VTEC doesn't kick in till engine temp greater than 65degC. 

• Member Contributer

6th gen doesn't operate VTEC until the oil temp is above a certain temp.  70 degrees C seems to jump out in my mind but I am sure someone will chip in soon with the correct digit and from what page in the manual.

Cheers

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Baketech said:

Sorry for what might be a dumb question, but as usual, I'm late to the party.

Does the 8th gen have a 1st gear power restriction of some sort?

{COUGHtractioncontrol}

Mine runs like a dangerously stuttering pig until it's warmed up a bit. Not sure if that was the look Honda were going for though...

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Baketech said:

Sorry for what might be a dumb question, but as usual, I'm late to the party.

Does the 8th gen have a 1st gear power restriction of some sort?

I think the 7th gen does - but not the 8th gen thank goodness.

• Member Contributer

No, it isn't restricted in 1st gear.  I don't see why anyone would want to put the power to any engine with cold oil in it.  Not exactly good for it.  

On 12 May 2017 at 8:47 AM, Grum said:

Not that I'm aware of, but have noticed with a cool engine acceleration is restricted, not sure if it's only first gear, just seems to labour a bit, and doesn't respond well to wide throttle opening (not in VTEC rpm or temp), but it's good as gold once it's warmed up. Was also wondering if others experienced this. Not something I remember the 6th. gen would do!

P.S. Was referring to Non VTEC operation and aware that VTEC doesn't kick in till engine temp greater than 65degC. 

I agree. My bike does it to me when engine temperature is below around 60 degC, as I need to ride up hills, once I leave the house going work every morning. It is struggling a bit.

Oh, that. Didn't read that. Yeah, I'm not sure what the reasoning is there, but it seems to be related to throttle position, RPM, or both, because you can get past it. That does go away until, I guess, around 120. I don't understand the reasoning there, either.

Archived