Front Preload Tool

NVR2L8

• Member Contributer

Has anyone found a tool to adjust the front fork preload, other than the wrench found in the factory tool kit? Just looking to minimize damage...

Wouldn't just a socket and wrench work?  Most every fork is that way, except BPF's.  Oh never mind I just found some pictures of the adjust.  That is weird, WTF Honda????

• Member Contributer

To the O.P. - if you're referring to your '06 and the stock screw type adjusters, most of what I've found such as a large screwdriver will eventually chew up the slots' edges making them look like crap.  One thing I happened across that works perfectly is a Kennedy $.50 cent piece.  I know that sounds crazy - but if the edges are just slightly worn it fits in the slot perfectly and gives enough leverage to turn them.  If needed a little more leverage can be had with a small adjustable wrench or pliers on the coin. It also takes up practically no space in a tank bag and can double as toll money at bridges or otherwise be spent. 

• Member Contributer

I do have a 6th Gen in my garage, and just this past weekend picked up a white 8th Gen.  For my 6th Gen, when I had Jamie at DMR rebuild the forks, I had him replace the fork caps so I could have rebound adjustment.  Those caps are a standard 14mm (I think) size, and are easily adjusted with a six-sided socket.  I haven't looked at the tools that came with the 8th Gen, but the two-sided top adjuster piece looks like it could easily be marred up if you're not careful.  I asked the question hoping someone had found a tool that fit the 8th Gen adjuster.

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Cogswell said:

One thing I happened across that works perfectly is a Kennedy $.50 cent piece.  I know that sounds crazy -

Not crazy at all.

I have yet to see a screwdriver that can do the job without marring the soft metal. 

I use a large diameter M12 washer (about 1.5" OD) and it's near perfect as it fits snugly and provides comfortable leverage. I also made do with a Yale type key. € coins don't fit.

If you check the slot's depth, you'll see that the bottom is crescent shaped so that's exactly what Showa had in mind. 

What's crazy is that the manual doesn't give you that simple little trick. Yes, I chewed the adjusters before it dawned on me. :pissed:

:offtopic:

I can't seem to find a picture of the offending 8G adjusters. :huh:

2 hours ago, NVR2L8 said:

I do have a 6th Gen in my garage, and just this past weekend picked up a white 8th Gen.  For my 6th Gen, when I had Jamie at DMR rebuild the forks, I had him replace the fork caps so I could have rebound adjustment.  Those caps are a standard 14mm (I think) size, and are easily adjusted with a six-sided socket.  I haven't looked at the tools that came with the 8th Gen, but the two-sided top adjuster piece looks like it could easily be marred up if you're not careful.  I asked the question hoping someone had found a tool that fit the 8th Gen adjuster.

The 8th gen uses a 14mm open end wrench.  They turn very easily, so there's no risk of damage.  Best tool for the job--buy a cheap 14mm open end wrench, and cut it down to only a couple inches long.  The preload adjusting sockets on the above link from race tech appear to be the exact shape (they're down near the bottom of the page...part# TFPA 14)...here's a larger picture like the one on that site--

RACE_TECH_FORK_PRELOAD_ADJUSTMENT_SOCKETS-900434496.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks like there was some confusion about the model year.  I hadn't realized it was the 8th gen in play.   I'm with RC36Rider - they should have some guidance in the owner's manual about adjusting the preload without messing up the caps. 

• Member Contributer

I bought some of these nifty and cheap permanent adjusters. A little bling, and they cover up any marks made by previous ham-fisted adjustments:

Screenshot.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAD-MOTO-14X18mm-Front-Fork-Preload-Adjusters-Honda-CBR-900RR-93-99-VTR1000F-RED-/112195118407?hash=item1a1f59a547:g:OG0AAOSwDNdV47gU&vxp=mtr

• Member Contributer

If the 8th gen adjusters are 14mm across the flats then I'm sure they will fit the fork. Whether there is room to turn them without fouling the brake or clutch lines I cannot say. They work fine on my 5th gen with 6th gen triples and bars and CBR600F4 forks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived