Made the VFR800 to1200 Swap - First Impressions vs What I Read

MackerVFRR

We should clarify this point to keep this thread as a useful resource for future parties interested in the VFR1200 (after they sort through the gratuitous RC51 pron ?) 

Is the 2012 gauge more accurate? Are the added computer fuel readouts accurate? What's the approx fuel range with the added capacity? 

13 hours ago, MackerVFRR said:

We should clarify this point to keep this thread as a useful resource for future parties interested in the VFR1200 (after they sort through the gratuitous RC51 pron ?) 

Is the 2012 gauge more accurate? Are the added computer fuel readouts accurate? What's the approx fuel range with the added capacity? 

The 2012+ provides more information, and the 2010 has the low fuel warning flash earlier.  Actual range is about the same, although the revise fuel map of the 2012 seems to offer ~slightly~ better fuel mileage.  I don't think .1 gallons would make a difference.  I just fueled yesterday after riding with the gauge flashing for 20 miles and still put only 4 gallons in.  I wish it started flashing then, with .8 left.  According to the owners manuals, the 2010 starts to flash low fuel warning with 1.19 gallons left, the 2012 flashes with 0.8 gallons remaining.  There is the range difference.  So just know you have 1.2 gallons left on the 2010 when it starts flashing.  That is around 60 miles cruising at highway speeds.  Your mileage may vary.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

As a current 6th gen RWB owner, I've been kicking around the idea of moving to the 1200 for next season, and this probably seals the deal... Not to mention the RC51 side piece, but that'll have to wait. Nice garage, GTI included. :)

On 19/09/2016 at 11:36 PM, CasualSwede said:

As a current 6th gen RWB owner, I've been kicking around the idea of moving to the 1200 for next season, and this probably seals the deal... Not to mention the RC51 side piece, but that'll have to wait. Nice garage, GTI included. :)

Thanks for the kind words Sir! That was the hope for this thread was to better inform those of us who were wondering if the 7th Gen might be worth taking the plunge. I didn't have the luxury of riding one or even seeing one in person for quite some time,  so I leaned heavily on this Forum - and while I found some decent info, I figure this comes up enough that having a good informative thread would be worthwhile. 

(And the RC51 side piece is highly recommended as well - owning a machine with the HRC logo cast into the cases gets me every time ?) 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 03/01/2017 at 2:16 PM, mattindenver said:

You have my dream garage. I have the RWB, ST1300 and even the AreoStich just missing the 1200F and the RC 51 Hayden edition of course... You are a lucky man. 

Thank You Sir! 

I sold my '03 VFR800 in preparation for the 1200, so we are walking similar paths. No regrets on the switch - it's a better bike in almost every way, plus I haven't seen a single one around my area in the 7 years this bike has been around -  so I also get to be unexpectedly rare/unique.

Any version of the RC51 is money. The black looks sharp too - I just have a personal preference against black motorcycles for safety/visibility reasons. That said I have been SERIOUSLY tempted of late by the 2012 R1 50th Anniversary. RC51 character/sound with modern looks, more power, better tech, lighter, and more parts/accessories availability. Plus that vintage racing paint scheme is gorgeous. And while the '51 is quasi rare only 2000 of the R1 were produced -  and I'm sure a few have been binned by now. Along with the 1200 it would make for a rare garage around my parts. 

On 8/27/2016 at 8:44 PM, St. Stephen said:

I agree with your comments, except I have not experienced any vibration-related hand numbing. My 2010 has Heli Bars, you may want to check them out, not sure if they help with vibration. And of course what a great motor.

I have exactly the same two bikes as you, but jeez, I thought I had an OK garage until I saw your pics! C'mon, spill some oil or something.  :wink:

IMG_2167.JPG

I love the looks of that RC, still has the original turnsignals and that paint/bodywork looks mint.   Never understood the hate on the vfr1200, sat on one once and frankly it felt pretty close to my '07 800 to me, the power and shaft drive alone make keeping one in the garage a wise decision.    As far as fuel gauges go they are usually a good guide but I personally still use my odometer and years of experience riding my bikes to tell me when to fill up.    Still I understand how something simple like a gas gauge should be more linear in action considering the incredible engineering of the big vfr.

• 1 month later...

Nice! I wouldn't say 1st and 2nd gear makes it unrideable, but in first and second gear my '08 CBR600RR would blow this bike away. Once it opens up, the VFR would likely take the CBR. 1st and 2nd in the CBR were awesome. I'm certainly disappointed in the power delivery, but I will deal with it until I can get it flashed.

As far as vibration discomfort , I can't really say I've experienced that. More of a cramp in shoulders & wrist on extended freeway sections. I'm a 52 years old pipe fitter so have a slight issue with that anyway. I use a Trottlemeister on both NT and VFR. They are a little pricey but they have a variety of options & work flawlessly every time after adjusted properly ; very high quality piece.

A requirement for my next bike is factory cruise control, but said that to myself before I bought the NT....

image.jpeg

Hey marriedman, wasn't aware there was another 1200f on the road in Ohio. I've had mine since 2011 have only seen a few in dealer showrooms.       O H _  _

It's strange Soupbean, I've seen at least 3 here in Dayton. But never when I am on the bike. I know one is ridden by a smaller framed woman, one by an older looking gentleman, and one squid. That last one always makes me scratch my head. I couldn't find one near me when I was looking so I was forced to go up in your neck of the woods. I test rode one that sat at Iron Pony for a long time, but they refused to come down to a reasonable price. Ended up buying mine in Mt Vernon, OH about 2 hours away from me. Totally worth the ride though!

Kudos on your RC sir. It looks immaculate -  crazy clean! Thank you for the compliment on the garage. When I moved in a year and a half ago it was just a wide open white space with occasional wall stains and small holes knocked in it. My first house and I was hell bent on having a cool moto-garage. I have upwards of 100hrs labour into it between wall repair and prep, 3 coats of paint (walls and ceiling in 2 colours) , plus stripe, cabinet assembly and installation, fluorescent lighting wiring etc. I'm happy with how it's turning out though! 
I immediately swapped mine from the 800 onto the 1200. I also installed Pro Grip 719's which are one of the thicker grips out there. They both help, but I'm searching for more. I'm a Physical Therapist so I'm confident I'd be aware of the presence of carpal tunnel. Plus I do not have this problem riding my other Honda V's. Neither the RC or the ST. A quality throttle lock may also be in my future to help the cause. Anyone have any experience with the Kaoko? 

I had Throttlemeister, which worked pretty well until installing heated grips. Then I came across this post:

Veefour Electronic Cruise Control, Installed And Tested

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=35196&share_tid=83266&url=http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/topic/83266-Veefour-Electronic-Cruise-Control%2C-Installed-And-Tested&share_type=t

It took me 8 hours to install but worth every minute. If you are planning on long rides spend the extra and got strait for ECC, you won't regret it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I have the throttlemiester on mine and it helps alot on long trips.  I just order Helibars too.  I'd love the cruise, but that will have to wait until I have more money.  I've had my 1200 (after an 800) for a little over a year and still love it.  The most under rated bike ever.

• Member Contributer

Ridered and Soupbean, have you considered the LSL Speigler bars as opposed to the helibars - here is a link to the thread if you're interested, I did mine and could not be happier!

On 3/29/2017 at 8:28 PM, RC1237V said:

Ridered and Soupbean, have you considered the LSL Speigler bars as opposed to the helibars - here is a link to the thread if you're interested, I did mine and could not be happier!

I don't like the way they look, so no.  Makes the bike look like a Adventure bike to me.  Found some used Helis so I went with them.  Thanks for the link though.

• Member Contributer

That's funny, I thought the same exact thing, but with my thumbs and palms going numb on every ride, I had to go with the tallest, furthest rearward option. Turns out no one has ever noticed, until I point them out. I was amazed at the comfort difference. I agree the helibars keep the sport bike look, I just did not want to risk another miserable ride - wish I was young again!

I hope they serve you well, and post pics when you're done!

• Member Contributer

If you think it's powerful and smooth now, just wait 'till you get the Guhl ECU flash. 

1000% better!   Make sure to tell him you have the Dam Exhaust.  

• 7 months later...

I'm surprised by the vibration problem as I find the VFR1200 engine to be super smooth. Was this problem with the standard bars? If the end weights, or internal dampers have been removed, this would affect vibration in the bars. However, even extended as mine are, with no lumps on the end, it's still really smooth, although not as good as originally, so the weights and dampers do work.

Is the problem engine vibration, or from the road. Easy to check - just turn the engine off while rolling on the road. If it's the former, I don't believe that can be affected by the suspension settings and if it's all standard, perhaps it's the riding position. I find the original bars put too much weight on my hands and the drop of the bars to the outside cranks my wrist in an uncomfortable (and ultimately painful) bend. When I designed my bars (based on RVT1000 upside down bars) I ensured they were flatter which keeps my wrists straight and with them also being higher it's the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. The later seat also helps. Quite a marked improvement for me from the pre 2012 slipperier than a slippy thing that came on the bike.

All in all, as I've always claimed, it's a stunningly good bike. Fuel consumption and range is far from being a problem, but the first bikes did not have accurate fuel gauges at the empty end, probably due to it being determined solely by the level sender output. In 2012 they added an actual low fuel level sensor (like their other models) which is much more accurate at indicating when the level drops to a known point. Some other internal mods also added a very small increase in capacity, but whatever the journalists and other naysayers have complained about, this was really never the issue that they claimed.

I also think the indicator switch position is ergonomically a great improvement. In fact, we were telling Japan to do this way back in the 70s. Just took them a long time to implement it.

I think the VFR1200's biggest problem is the front end styling and that puts off a lot of people from what is underneath that a great bike. Remove the plastics and it's a great looking naked bike, but then I'm biased.

Oh and I've also got an SP-2. Spooky. :biggrin:

Archived