strange sound from front end

maxredline

• Member Contributer

I am hearing this weird intermitant sound that is coming from what seems the front end around the streering head area. To describe it is difficult, its a chunking sound that I can only hear when stopped or going very slow. It does not sound mechanical like metal on metal. It happens when i am rolling or when stopped. I havent pin pointed it yet. The bike runs fine, strange. I thought maybe it was related to the cooling system but the coolant level is fine and I am not loosing coolant nor it the engine overheating.

Maybe it is something touching something else that should not be or a relay or.... Any ideas? When I have time to figure it out I will post up.

• Member Contributer

Could be the air box flapper valve. This often sounds like a "clunking" noise, it's also right near the steering head.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, hellindustries said:

Depending on what you mean by a " chunking " sound, it could be the head-bearing.

Does it happen when you apply brakes?
Does it still happen if the engine is off? (roll the bike manually)

Nah, a loose head bearing goes clunk, not chunk. That reminds me, I have a 

Honda Genuine Steering Stem Socket Part # 07916-3710100 for sale $20 plus shipping.

• Member Contributer

Have you had your front fender off lately? Last time I did it would vibrate when braking and took forever to figure out. Loosen and retighten the bolts and problem solved.

• Member Contributer

I also vote for the flapper valve. To test it, remove the connections from the clutch switch at the bar, as (for whatever reason) the flapper gets opened below 5500 rpm when the clutch is pulled in. If your clutch switch gets a little dirty and makes intermittent contact, the solenoid that drives the flapper can hunt or buzz, and the flapper will try to open and close.

• Member Contributer
On 8/6/2016 at 2:33 PM, Duc2V4 said:

Could be the air box flapper valve. This often sounds like a "clunking" noise, it's also right near the steering head.

I think you are on to something here. I removed the pair system but did not disable the flapper.

Just throwing this out here,  as it was after a bit of looking and actually cleaning. I had this click- clunk thing after I had taken the forks off getting Jamie to work his magic.  Once back on I had this weird clicking clunk. I thought at first it was like the forks where topping off no couldn't be,  then maybe head bearing slop came to mind, nope.  The thing here was when it happened I started narrowing it down to the brakes. Seems as though the linked brake pivot arm where it pushes into the second master for the rear was the cause. It still does this even after I took it all apart cleaning it then adding some lube.  I smh,  now I have just about all I need to do a de-link. 

• Member Contributer
On 8/6/2016 at 6:40 PM, Terry said:

I also vote for the flapper valve. To test it, remove the connections from the clutch switch at the bar, as (for whatever reason) the flapper gets opened below 5500 rpm when the clutch is pulled in. If your clutch switch gets a little dirty and makes intermittent contact, the solenoid that drives the flapper can hunt or buzz, and the flapper will try to open and close.

Interesting, so my clutch switch on the handle bar has been acting up reacently, not being able to start when the clutch is pulled and the bike in gear. This was intermitant so having the flapper engage and disengage makes sense. I tested the switch today and it is NFG. New switch has been ordered.

Thanks for the input peeps

Archived