New owner, 2005 MY - first ride, first post ;-)

I would like to start this thread by thanking you all for the enormous amount of information on this site, the symptoms, trouble-shooting and solutions to any possible hiccup that this marvellous piece of machinery that is the VFR800. I've been searching this site daily about owner concerns, issues and solutions. When I picked up this 2005 MY with 88k miles on the counter, I felt confident that I was doing a sensible purchase. Coming from a new 2015 CBR500R, and trading it for a 11 years old motorcycle was not easy, except for the moment I started the engine, and hopped on the road.... Coming out of the dealer's lot, I went straight for a 220 miles run. It's not a motorcycle, it's a locomotive. Pulls away in any gear, and track the road like a dream. I was fighting a (very) noisy Arai Signet-Q helmet on the 500R, but my body ergonomics (5'8'') are perfect on this bike - very little noise makes for a very nice, enjoyable ride.

This bike had a single owner, a Honda mechanic. It's basically in perfect shape (except the front tire - I'll get to that) for its mileage. Throttle response is perfect, brakes are new and the transmission is an absolute pleasure and has the most positive feedback I've ever experienced. So satisfying to hear and feel the next gear "click" into place, like a precise work of art. The entire machine truly looks like art in motion, especially that stock exhaust and single sided swing arm. Gorgeous. What an amazing piece of Engineering. Quick inspection back Home of the usual suspects (yellow and blue connectors, the main 30A fuse, the R/R and stator connectors) all came back negative; no charred connectors, harnesses are in great condition. I'll check the R/R and stator voltages this week-end to confirm the bike's charging system. Anything else I should take a peek at, inspect properly?

Caveats? Stock seat is a tad firm for my rear bum and the front tire (Michelin PR4) though almost new is already scalloping (cupping?). Will need to change that very quickly since highway vibration was not acceptable. I was recommended Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs, but what about the T30 Evos? There is an accessory pad stuck on the windshield (the black disc in the picture), but fortunately it is not in my view when riding.

Is there a switched accessory 12V connector un-used in the front cowling? I would like to install a USB charger for my cellphone; on the 500R I used the OEM heated grips connector for that purpose.

Thanks again for all the information, downloads and data that resides on this site; greatly appreciated.

John

VFR800F.JPG

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard 30Charlie! Looks like you found a nice ride. Seat options are out there but depends on what you want to spend. Personally I would look at going to an upholstery shop and see what they can do, as the aftermarket options are generic, albeit better than stock for most people, but not tailored to you.

In regards to your tire issue, the cupping, especially with low mileage, is indicative is suspension settings or an out of balance wheel. The latter is easy and inexpensive to resolve but the former will cost some money to fix. Usually spring rates and damping changes are in order but sometimes just setting the preload and playing with oil levels/viscosity can make a difference. I went with front and rear suspension upgrades from fellow VFR Discussion member Jamie Daugherty www.daughertymotorsports.com

and have been very happy.

As far as tires go, the norm around here seems to be either Michelin Pilot Road series (2, 3 or 4), Bridgestone T30 EVO or Pirelli Angel GT. These are all in the sport touring category and seem to fit the VFR really well. The Pirelli Diablos are more sport oriented and will probably give great grip but at the sacrafice of mileage. I'm running Michelin Pilot Power 3 on my 2001 VFR and a Pilot Power 3 front with a Pilot Road 4 rear on my 2009 VFR and so far happy with this choice too. I just recently put Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP2 on my Ducati and so far loving them there but I don't expect too many miles out them.

As far as I am aware, there is no accessory outlet on the 6 Gen and you either have to be creative with using a switched circuit, like the rear tail light and a 12 volt relay to provide yourself one or tie directly off the battery. I went with a power controller and gave myself 6 different power outlets, some with switched control and some always live outlets. With the controller I have (PDM 60 by Rowe Electronics) I even have time on and off delays available.

Welcome to the world of VFR's. 

I have the same front tire cupping problem on my '07 with 42k miles on it.  As Duc2V4 suggested, it's time for new fork fluid as the original damping properties of my fork are gone.  Now it just feels wooden when I hit bumps up front.

For power, I used Powerlet's Termin-8 junction.  It connects easily to your battery and offers up 4 powered connections with an inline fuse.  It's designed for motorcycles with very little room for junction boxes.  From the Termin-8 junction line I have hooked up a powered line to my heated jacket liner, a radar detector, and a GPS/tankbag power. 

Here is the product:  http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/powerlet-termin-8-easier-than-a-fuseblock

• Member Contributer

Welcome and CONGRATULATIONS 30charlie.

Sounds like the Vee4 Bug has really bitten you, and why not, they are a great bike. Hopefully being owned by a Honda mechanic she'll be in great shape, trust you'll have all her service records. You are right about this forum its full of great info and everyone is here to help you. Hit the roads and enjoy!

Cheers from down under!

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the Discussion, great first post and pic.

Thank you all for your guidance and recommendations. I do like the PDM a lot - kinda gear head, here.... I'll see about the front tire and suspension.

Did my first city ride today in 92F full-on sunshine weather. Whole different beast than the CBR! Did encounter my first snag: engine temp went upwards of 240F and the fan did not kick in. Guess I know what I'll be doing over the week-end and trouble-shoot that (fuse, thermal switch, fan motor, radiator liquid, etc.)

John

• Member Contributer

Welcome also!  It's quite a jump you have made, but now you've gone and done it.  No other bike will hit all the spots this one does, it will spoil you.  :-)  The replies provided are spot on with Powerlet, and the tire advice.  A lot of VFR aces on this site, the best community, imho.  If you have questions a lot of smart and savvy people here. :-) 

This being my fifth motorcycle ('86 Ninja 750, '86 FJ1200, '02 SV1000S, '15 CBR500R) - indeed it simply gives me the biggest grin I ever had coming back from a ride. I know being a high-mileage bike it will need some TLC, but being a Airplane mechanic myself I can tackle almost anything. :-)

I'll delve into the Powerlet and PDM proposals over the week-end, while I'll trouble-shoot the non-functional rad fan.

Sure am enjoying it... 120 more miles this evening. What a great motorcycle. Can't wait for my daughter to ride with me.

Did find the culprit with the non-functional radiator fan; failed temp switch. So easy to replace. Ordered a new one, though I still do ride, albeit making sure I don't hit any stop-and-go trafic...

Archived