Where Are The SoCal Rides?

Rogue_Biker

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the Brexit vote was all about self-determination by a majority of the British.  It seems like they feel the EU leadership is disconnected from what is happening in other parts of the EU, and because of this it is hurting the very same people that it is supposed to benefit.  A similar thing is happening here in the US where the establishment elites are dictating terms that may not benefit the whole of the US.  Enough people are disgruntled to bring rise to an anti-establishment.  Who amongst us want to be told what to do and how to live our lives, especially if that authority doesn’t care how it affects those that disagree and those they are asking to bear the burden?    I know I don’t like it when someone tells me I should stop riding motorcycles because it’s dangerous and I go too fast and therefore I am a menace to society!  Or when someone tells me I should pay more into a system to support those who choose NOT to pay into it or who have not earned the privileges I worked so hard to achieve.  I keep telling people around me:  just because YOU believe something is right, does NOT mean it is right for everyone!  Also, a person’s freedom to choose should not impinge upon the right of another person’s freedom.  I choose to ride my motorcycle and ride it fast when it’s safe.  But I do not put other people’s lives in danger while doing so.   

On 6/9/2016 at 7:25 PM, Rogue_Biker said:

Every start of the summer all the douchebags of the riding world come out to SoCal and it's a zoo at the popular places.  Malibu, ACH, Palomar, etc.  Luckily, most of them can't wake up early worth a damn!  LOL!  So if you wake up early enough you can have most of these roads to just a few riders.  Best time to go is during the weekday.  But who has weekdays off right?  LOL!

I'm usually leaving Palomar before they show up.  I get there before Mother's opens most of the time.  It gets too hot later anyhow.

On 6/11/2016 at 6:34 PM, 01ragtop said:

Where in SOCAL? I ride with some sportbike guys mostly. We hit Palomar, Banner, Montezuma, etc. 

Occasionally, we make a big loop up north of LA and across ACH, but we're San Diego,  so mostly we stay down here. I never see other VFR riders though. 

We are around.  Mostly early in the morning.

• 1 month later...
On June 7, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Rogue_Biker said:

So I get busy and disappeared for a while, and I look back on here and nobody rides in SoCal?  At least nobody posts a ride?

I'm planning on riding Angeles Crest Hwy tomorrow AM, and maybe getting some grub at Newcomb's Ranch.  I'll be leaving the Shell station at the bottom of the hill at 9am if anyone wants to tag along.

• Member Contributer

Have a local OC group going to GMR, so we'll be on the other side of the mountain range! Probably should start posting rides here more often. Seems that the So Cal VFR riders are too spread out, hence the local OC riders have been getting the attention.

• Member Contributer
55 minutes ago, Rambler358 said:

When is the GMR ride - did I miss it?

It was today. There will be more rides to come. We are going to try and be more "cross pollinating" with our post. Since we have more riders closer to us in the OCMoto forum so we usually get more takers. Today there were 4 VFRs. One 5 Gen (mine) and three 6 Gens, two of which were RWBs. We can discuss more on next weekends ride.

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Rambler358 said:

From some of the vids of be seen, you guys aren't exactly slow. So I'm not sure how much fun it'll be for you all having to wait for an old slow guy like me. 

I can't speak for the GMR rides, but for next week's ride, everyone should ride their ride. I'm about middle of the pack with the guys I normally ride with. One of them is faster than I ever hope to be most are similar to me, and a couple of guys are slower. I'd much rather wait on someone who is riding within their comfort zone than urge someone to keep up so I didn't have to wait as long. I've seen a couple of crashes by guys trying to "keep up".  I'll ride hard up to a point, but beyond that I have no problem letting someone disappear on up the road. They'll wait for me at the next turn the same way I'll wait for those behind me. 

• Member Contributer

I'll second what ragtop said, although I'm probably one of those who you would consider fast (as I'm the camera man in some of those videos), I don't always need to be up front. I can turn the knob down and not go to 11 all the time. If someone wants to play up front I'm usually game for it but if we want to keep it sane, I'll often volunteer to take the sweeper position. I'd rather everyone make it home in one piece than have to tell stories of how so and so almost got to finish the ride!

Many who have ridden with me before know that I'm more about being safe than being fast, so please don't let these videos deter you from coming along, you never know who you'll meet and bond with. You may find that you ride a similar pace and style as someone who rides with us and find a good riding partner. That's kind of how Rogue and I ended up riding together so much.

We don't belittle anyone or make them feel bad if they're not keeping our pace. We encourage you to ride your own ride and if you need to take your time, do so, we can wait if/when we have to.

We ride with people of varying skill/speed levels.  I'm not the knee dragger type and I keep promising to slow down.  LOL!  So don't worry about going fast or slow.  Ride your own pace. As OOTV said, we would rather wait for others than wait for an ambulance (if you know what I mean--been there done that).  People always wait for me anyway so you may be in good company.  The key is to have fun, meet new like-minded riders, repeat.  We don't go out there to try to impress anybody. 

• Member Contributer

In case your confused by Rougue's reference to OOTV, I use that name elsewhere...

• Member Contributer

Both Rogue and I were on Sport-Touring.net but kind of drifted away, in favor of here, VFRW and OCMoto. Found more takers for ride post on the latter forum.

Rambler, did you ever ride an ST1300 or something in the past?  Did you do the Central Coast Tour with me around 2003/04-ish?

I had a 2014 ST1300, and prior to that a 2003 VFR. But no, didn't do that coast tour. I remember a Palomar ride on the VFR, and a Mexico trip with former ST-N mod Ken on the ST1300.

• 9 months later...

Yawn....  <looks left, looks right, looks left again>.

Back in the day I used to organize ACH-BigBear, Palomar-borrego springs, hesperia-crestline-idlywild and I think GMR twice.  Oh those were the days.  Tracking up 350+ miles on low-traffic back country roads...

Yawn...  <looks left again, sneezes, then starts washing the bike>

Give me a little bit and I'll throw something together.

• Member Contributer

So my suggestion is to post up rides here and look on other bike forums for socal riders. I have never had much luck finding a day ride here but when i ha e posted a ride with enough notice people surprise me by showing up. 

Archived