VFR vs F800GT

Blake

Hey, New Yorker new to this forum. Riding a CB500F and am now looking for a sport tourerish bike. Wondering if anyone has ridden the f800gt and compared it to the VFR800. I' d like to stay in the Honda camp if possible. I'm 6'2" 195 and wondering if I'm going o be too jammed up on the VFR without mods. I have also heard the Beemer f800gt parallel twin is a buzzy motor. Hate buzzy. Thanks for you opinion. 

• Member Contributer

You definitely need to ride both before making up your mind.

Vibration:

I checked out a 2nd hand F800ST for a friend recently, and whilst not silk smooth it was not objectionable imnsho. I've owned 3rd, 5th, and 6th generation VFRs and all but my current '09 VTec were quite smooth. My particular VTec can put my hands to sleep at times.

Size:

The F800ST felt more compact than my VTec, but I wouldn't say it felt small.

Performance:

The F800ST is clearly outclassed by the VFR, but isn't exactly slow. Otoh, the VFR sounds more exciting.

These two bikes have a good deal of overlap and either could probably satisfy your needs. But to repeat, it'd be best for you to ride both.

Thanks Lorne, all the reviews I've read about the 2014-15 VFR say it's buttery smooth. I did ride a f700gs which is the same engine as the 800gt, found it really buzzy at 4200. Really can't believe a company like BMW can't produce a better motor. Their cars are great!

Haven't ridden an F800 but I'm also 6'2", I find the bike pretty comfy for the daily commute and weekend hill runs. If I was putting more than a couple hundred km down a ride I would probably invest in Bar risers to ease the wrist strain a little

I have had all gens of VFR and have also spent a lot of time on a F800 GT.

In my opinion, the ergonomics of the BMW are more comfortable than the VFR, as in sitting more upright, the steering is lighter so it is marginally better in tight twisties, but it is compromised by a budget suspension setup which is under damped which lets it down a bit when pushing on, and as said the engine lacks a bit of character being a parallel twin with 360 degree cranks, and it runs out of puff at higher revs, and it is buzzy.

Compared to my latest gen 8 VFR, the vfr is a more sporty bike and the vtec gives it the advantage when pushing on, the vfr engine is butter smooth and the suspension is better, and here in Oz anyway the vfr is a fair bit cheaper than the beemer.

I still like the beemer though, for its comfort and is a nice looking bike.

If comfort and ergos was the deciding factor, the F800 GT would win out in my opinion. but for a more sporty feel, the VFR would win out.

Pm member Olive. She has a lot of time with f800 and 6th gen VFR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dogman that's a  good comparison. Went by the Honda dealer today the 2015 VFR800 prices were reduced by Honda corporate. Makes it very temping.  The BMW is a lot more money....... More head scratching. 

Thanks Sweeper, I'll get in touch with Olive. 

• Member Contributer

I checked out the F800 when it first came out, didn't get as far as a test ride, one sit on it & the massive soft rubber foot pegs was enough to put me off. I'm 6'1" 190lb's 33" inside leg. VFR is a perfect fit, I've done 400mile days on it without issue. I had a CBR600F4 before & that was killing me before 120miles on a tour !

Best comfort mod on the 5th gen was covering the saddle with a leather cover, it has made the seat so much more comfy. 

Hey i3v4, I did consider the FJ09 it's got everything I would want and it seems the egos would be good too.  But....... It so insectoid looking to me(sorry if this offends anyone, my opinion only). Still the price is good and you do get a lot for your money. 

Mohawk- I've got only 1" and 5lbs on you. Maybe the ergos won't be so bad for me.  Test ride!!

On 6/1/2016 at 4:12 PM, Sweeper said:

Pm member Olive. She has a lot of time with f800 and 6th gen VFR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, Olive has two VFR bikes now. She has had a F800 and said they weren't comparable - the VFR was a much better bike. PM and ask. I'm sure she'll be happy to give you feedback.

• Member Contributer

Blake,

I had an '08 F8ST that I put about 6k miles on and now have an '06 VFR that I have almost 5k miles under me. I know you asked about the GT but thought some of the same things apply. Though both great bikes, and two of my favorite that I have had, here are my thoughts. 

BMW was a great commuter/short trip (2-3 day) bike for me. I loved not having to worry to about chain maintenance, standard OEM heated grips, great fuel consumption and standard tire pressure sensors. Having the fuel tank under the seat made the COG on the bike perfect and for me, made it very flickable. I also really liked the sound of stock bike. However, the OEM bags are terribly expensive and not very large, IMO. The bike felt more cramped to me, I am only 5'7", so that says a lot. It also made my passenger feel more cramped, unlike the VFR.

The VFR has all day comfort for me. I love the riding position, the sound, and the storage on my 6th Gen. The reliability is bar none but the electronic system is something to pay attention to, something I never had to worry about on the BMW. The VFR is heavier for me to move around and sometimes I have to be selective in the angle that I park. The storage is fantastic, especially for longer trips. It will eat up the miles without a second thought. 

Hope this helps.

R,

Shannon

Shannon, thanks it does help. Did you find the BMW to be buzzy? I've ridden the f800gs and found the engine to vibrate at 4200ish in my hands. Didn't like that, otherwise the bike was good. Since it has the same engine I was concerned the gt (st) would have the same charicteristics. 

Thanks Blake

• Member Contributer

This is an old article, so you still need to ride the F800GT and the 8th Gen VFR800, but I think it outlines much of the same feedback you received from the other responses.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2008-middleweight-sporttouring-shootout-bmw-f800st-vs-honda-vfr800-interceptor-86719.html

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Blake said:

Shannon, thanks it does help. Did you find the BMW to be buzzy? I've ridden the f800gs and found the engine to vibrate at 4200ish in my hands. Didn't like that, otherwise the bike was good. Since it has the same engine I was concerned the gt (st) would have the same charicteristics. 

Thanks Blake

Blake,

I never had a problem with the buzziness but I know that others did. It never bothered me on any of my trips, even highway. Some corrected it with heavier bar ends. 

Archived