Looking at new 8th Gen

marbs34

Hi, I'm moving to San Diego very soon ( active duty military), and I'm looking for my next bike.  I'm seriously considering the 8th gen and here's why:

1) had a 6th, and I hear they are mostly the same, just incrementally  better.  

2) I'll be using it to commute to base most days ~50 miles round trip.

3) it would be my 3rd VFR, Definitely have a soft spot there.

4) last bike was a 2013 Street Triple R, that was an upgrade from the Husqvarna SM610, commuting wise back when I used to run with Tharkun  at the Baldwin TT.

5) I'd really like to ride a Hypermotard, don't want to pay for it, both initially, insurance, and in maintenance.  Plus I don't see it doing great to commute on with out a back pack ( I hate wearing stuff on my back). In this sense I'm used to using med sized tank bags,  they've done whatever I've needed them to do, even carry a change of clothes.

So this is firstly an announcement that I'm most likely going to be back on a VFR soon, ask if you know where you find a White one since dealerships in cali are still selling '14s that are usually red. And if you have another suggestion for something that can better fit my needs for commuting plus Palomar in no more than basically protected full riding gear.  As in I won't be laying a knee down anytime soon, or excessively speeding in corners or otherwise.

And thanks, VFRD has been my favorite site for bikes, and I'm glad to be in the community.

Statement: There is a white one in Phoenix listed on Craigslist at $8400. 

Question: Is there a special emissions strangled version of the 8th gen for California that makes Statement worthless to you? 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, marbs34 said:

Hi, I'm moving to San Diego very soon ( active duty military), and I'm looking for my next bike.  I'm seriously considering the 8th gen and here's why:

1) had a 6th, and I hear they are mostly the same, just incrementally  better.  

2) I'll be using it to commute to base most days ~50 miles round trip.

3) it would be my 3rd VFR, Definitely have a soft spot there.

4) last bike was a 2013 Street Triple R, that was an upgrade from the Husqvarna SM610, commuting wise back when I used to run with Tharkun  at the Baldwin TT.

5) I'd really like to ride a Hypermotard, don't want to pay for it, both initially, insurance, and in maintenance.  Plus I don't see it doing great to commute on with out a back pack ( I hate wearing stuff on my back). In this sense I'm used to using med sized tank bags,  they've done whatever I've needed them to do, even carry a change of clothes.

So this is firstly an announcement that I'm most likely going to be back on a VFR soon, ask if you know where you find a White one since dealerships in cali are still selling '14s that are usually red. And if you have another suggestion for something that can better fit my needs for commuting plus Palomar in no more than basically protected full riding gear.  As in I won't be laying a knee down anytime soon, or excessively speeding in corners or otherwise.

And thanks, VFRD has been my favorite site for bikes, and I'm glad to be in the community.

Don't wear a backpack.  Get a Cortech tail bag

• Member Contributer

As in I won't be laying a knee down anytime soon, or excessively speeding in corners or otherwise.  -  That's what I told the cop the last time I got pulled over............

+1 on the Cortech, I didn't want to pay $2500 for the stock hardbags, and got all four Cortech's for ~$350.............NEW!

Here's one in San Diego....several more as well in LA

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/San-Diego-BMW-Motorcycles-2887654/listing/2014-Honda-Interceptor-DLX-117888953

Riverside....

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Malcolm-Smith-Motorsports-2888288/listing/2014-Honda-INTERCEPTOR---VFR800-117012866

17 hours ago, Knight said:

Statement: There is a white one in Phoenix listed on Craigslist at $8400. 

Question: Is there a special emissions strangled version of the 8th gen for California that makes Statement worthless to you? 

This might be where I bought  the ST3 too when I was stationed in Yuma last

Nope I bought the ST3 at GOAZ in September 2012.  In any case a flight to Phoenix one way from San Diego is $132 if you plan it out a couple of weeks.  And gas for 355 miles traveled  estimating 40 MPG at $2.40/gal is about $22.  I have a dozen people on Yuma who would put me up and feed me if I needed to halve the trip. So thanks for the Phoenix recommendation!

• Member Contributer

It looks like the new 800 is like the 1200, as it is a 50 state bike.........so you can bring it into the state any time. Also, since you are in the military, if you buy a 49 state vehicle in the state you are stationed in, and then get stationed in CA, you can transfer that 49 state vehicle to CA as an exemption.

• Member Contributer

All RC79's are 50 state.  They all have the carbon canisters and vent tubes on the tank and throttle bodies to capture the gas

vapors.  I don't bother removing that stuff anymore.  It doesn't hurt performance.

If you get it, let me know, and maybe we can put together a ride. I use my white 2014 for commuting and the mountain twisties. I can't quite hang with the sport bikes on Palomar (pegs and knees get in the way), but every where else it holds its own just fine, and that's on a stock suspension that isn't up to the task of my weight. 

Will do, I took a couple of younger guys once who thought they were tough 'cause they were on 1000's on an epic ride once to show them how it was done.

I was on have Street Triple R, one guy on a GSXR1000, and another on an RC51.

We left the air base in Yuma, hopped on the 8W, got off in Brawley, up across the Montezuma mountain pass, into Palomar, goofed around there a bit and had lunch,  set off south into San Diego and took the 84 back to Jacumba before returning home on the 8.

The youngest guy was crying about his knees on the GSXR.  The RC51 had to stop for gas every 80 miles because it was running pig rich with cans and no tune.

When we got back they both commented that they appreciated my ability to ride, they both thought I and the Triumph were a joke because it was different.

So anyways, yeah.  I'll go to Palomar!  I'm looking forward to it.  If you want to try 94 from lemon Grove to Jacumba and back some time also we can do that too.

Archived