Orange Box

Tews19

• Member Contributer

I could be wrong but it may be possible to remove the orange connector from the wires and replace just the plastic part. There are release catches that secure the wire ends inside the orange bit. I've seen special tools designed to do that. I've done a couple with a small screwdriver blade. Took me a while to figure some out and some defeated me completely. I obviously need some of those special tools. Unfortunately, my memory fails me as to where I saw them.

Joshua at wiremybike dot com has been very helpful to me by email.

• Member Contributer

That's the infamous ground terminal. Some people eliminate future corrosion problems by cutting off the connector and soldering all of the wires together. You just have to have a big soldering iron, or gun, or torch...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Get rid of it.

Solder all the wires together, and add a larger gauge earth straight back to the negative side of the battery.

This is a known weak spot that will cause future problems.

The more you try to clean it, the worse it will get.

• Member Contributer

I'm not a fan of the Vfrness.

Many have tried and still had problems.

Only way to completely remove the chance of failure is to solder the joints, and run a heavier gauge positive cable directly from the R&R to the battery through a heavy duty weather proof fuse.

• Member Contributer

Only way to completely remove the chance of failure is to solder the joints, and run a heavier gauge positive cable directly from the R&R to the battery through a heavy duty weather proof fuse.

Wait, what?

That orange connector is a ground junction block for the meters, lights, and ECU. Hooking it to the positive side of the battery will cause some pretty spectacular fireworks. It is easily cleaned by soaking with DeOxit, and compressed air. Like most of the low current connectors. The high current connectors are the ones that need to be hard-wired.

• Member Contributer

Your VFR and the RC45 are equipped the same orange box... the flaky ground was the cause
of my flicking F1 light 4 years ago...

For a permanent fix I removed the orange box by taking a jewelers screw
driver and carefully depress the tab on each metal connector while
tugging on the green wire with needle nose pliers... then assemble the
ground pins back onto their corresponding wire and solder...

gallery_3131_51_5519.jpg

gallery_3131_51_1400.jpg

gallery_3131_51_12600.jpg

gallery_3131_51_42082.jpg
gallery_3131_51_41148.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wait, what?

That orange connector is a ground junction block for the meters, lights, and ECU. Hooking it to the positive side of the battery will cause some pretty spectacular fireworks. It is easily cleaned by soaking with DeOxit, and compressed air. Like most of the low current connectors. The high current connectors are the ones that need to be hard-wired.

Wait, what?

I was referring to the Vfrness question, not the ground plug.

Archived