525 Pitch

Kingmdm

• Member Contributer

Does the 8th Gen have a 525 chain and sprockets? What happened to to the 530. What's up with that?

• Member Contributer

Does the 8th Gen have a 525 chain and sprockets? What happened to to the 530. What's up with that?

Yep 525 110 links. Guess it's part of the overall weight reduction strategy.

• Member Contributer

Well, the 525 was good enough for the RC30... :wink:

I think chains have been getting stronger over the last 20 years, so there are even 520s as strong as the 530s of old.

Ciao,

Yep I agree with that John. Metallurgy these days is light years ahead of that of twenty years ago

The '525' refers to the width of the chain (distance between plates). The pitch of the chain is the distance between link pins, centre to centre, and on all modern roadbikes it is 5/8".

I reckon you could run a modern 520 on a VFR with decent longevity, as long as your VFR wasn't a full-boat tourer that you were giving the herbs all the time. And it's not just the overall weight reduction that it would give - it also reduces unsprung weight (more responsive suspension) and centripetal weight (better acceleration).

I ran a 520 on my 6th gen for years without a problem. I'm glad they went to a 525 on the 8th. Makes perfect sense with less than 100 hp. Hell, they probably could have gone with the 520.

• Member Contributer

But are aftermarket steel rear sprockets available in 520? I didn't mind the chain, but I'm not a big fan of alloy rear sprockets on "big" bikes.

Ciao,

Archived