5Th Gen Stator Upgrade Or Oem?

mtnbikerpm1

My 99 vfr800 has stator issue. I've heard of some replacing the stator with one from 05 yamaha. Whats the best to do here? Fix the wiring issue by upgrading the stator wires themselves, eliminating the connector or buying new different stator altogether? Any help would be appreciated.

• Member Contributer

Go to the factory manual and follow the procedure to check for shorts to ground and then check the output at idle and 5,000 rpm. Separate the 3 (yellow) wire connector to perform the voltage test. It's AC voltage and should run from around 20v or so at idle to about 60v at 5,000. If it is fried, replace with a Honda unit. You can go OEM as some prefer, or you can also send it to Custom Rewind http://www.customrewind.com/ which will renew it for a bit over $100. I did the latter and it's been working well. If you call them, keep in mind that Gary has multiple sclerosis so his speech is slurred, but he's a nice guy and they do a good job. Here's some additional reading.

http://www.genebitsystems.com/david/MotorcyclePrep/statorfailure.htm

http://www.genebitsystems.com/david/CustomRewind/index.htm

• Member Contributer

I went OEM for my 6 Gen and will be sending the original stator to Custom Rewind so that I can have a spare if/when I need another one. My original had 46k miles on it and my 5 Gen currently has @20k miles so I'm sure I'll need one eventually.

• Member Contributer

I believe the OE stators are made by Hitachi. The downside is that they don't carry a warranty. However, I have had better luck with the OE stators than I have had with aftermarket parts. I have averaged around 70,000 miles on three OE stators. 10,000 miles on an aftermarket stator. Jeff J

• Member Contributer

Perform the test also after the engine (and thus the stator) has heated up well.

Good luck!

Anytime something fails on the bike think beyond that part and think about action vs. reaction. This failure is probably the result of the aging of the entire system, not just the stator. Now if everything else on your bike is clean, has continuity with little corrosion, etc., then the stator may have just used up its natural life. But otherwise 17 years of corrosion across all of the components would increase the overall draw and assure the life of the next stator to be shorter. So depending on the maintenance history of the bike, consider cleaning all high power connections including the starter switch and headlight circuit, inspect all of the fuses and replace anything that has any odd coloring to it, and clean the ground block terminals.

He did not say it, but I bet you a dozen donuts that JeffyJeff above is proactive about maintaining his system in order to get that kind of mileage from a stator. At the opposite end is a bike that goes to pot and an owner who thinks an aftermarket part will mystically and magically last longer, only to see it die an early death. That death may be caused by existing issues that were not addressed, or the fact that aftermarket makers many times do not comply closely enough to the original specification. Even a stator generating more power can cause problems. While one would not hesitate to upgrade the alternator on a car, the bike is more of a delicate balance that must be adhered to.

• Member Contributer

hahahahahaha the above reminds me of companies who cut headcount non-stop, move support to low cost countries and expect service level agreements to remain at the same level......

:-(

• Member Contributer

Classic Rewind in Alabama does excellent work.

I went OEM for my 6 Gen and will be sending the original stator to Custom Rewind so that I can have a spare if/when I need another one. My original had 46k miles on it and my 5 Gen currently has @20k miles so I'm sure I'll need one eventually.

Archived