Gas Tank Lock

Mikey

• Member Contributer

Anyone have experience swapping out locks on the gas tank? I am planning on disassembling the lock and thought I would ask if anyone has any wisdom/tips/advice. Reason for swapping is the one on the bike isn't looking so good on the inside. I blame it on farging ethonol attacking the aluminum.

• Member Contributer

I once thought I had to rebuild my tank lock, but didn't have to do it in the end. However, I viewed a short vid on youtube about it--looked a bit tricky. Sorry, don't have the URL to hand, but you should be able to find it online. Good luck.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I did It on a couple a few years ago so I could powder coat them, but I paint to much shit and cant remember anything. was not difficult though.

just looked at one in the show room (a cbr650f) I believe there are 2 screws up under the rubber gasket that have to come out. just lift the gasket until you see the screws, the gasket does not have to come all the way off. remove screws disassembly fix, assembly in reverse order.

* insert drink beer where appropriate*

please note, this process is the same on 6 gen 3rd and 4th gen, not sure about 5th but im sure its fine

• Member Contributer

I will post up a picture as soon as I get the ambition to uncover the bike, its snowing a bit today, more expected tomorrow and its bumming me out. VFR is currently in storage in the garage under two moving blankets. It's the underside of the gas cap that is corroded and I purchased a new cap, now I just need to switch the locks so it matches the ignition key. Nothing is wrong with the original lock itself. I was poking around in the new cap and the lock swap looks pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the follow-ups,

Mikey

• Member Contributer

I've taken several off and on and it's very straight forward. I cannot remember details but I have a Honda Factory Service Manual which I follow and remember no fancy gottchas. There are down-loadable FSMs on the forum here.

I will post up a picture as soon as I get the ambition to uncover the bike, its snowing a bit today, more expected tomorrow and its bumming me out. VFR is currently in storage in the garage under two moving blankets. It's the underside of the gas cap that is corroded and I purchased a new cap, now I just need to switch the locks so it matches the ignition key. Nothing is wrong with the original lock itself. I was poking around in the new cap and the lock swap looks pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the follow-ups,

Mikey

I like your approach of putting a new one in place. I considered that. It is something you use constantly so a good look and smooth operation is very satisfying.

I suspect that mine had old gas in it and the cap underside was a greenish-yellow crust. I went to have extra keys made and before I had looked at the gas cap, the locksmith lubricated it with a synthetic (LOK-SHOT). But the lube quickly lost its effectiveness because it was compensating for the crusty buildup. I covered the tank, scrubbed it well with a very fine steel wool, avoiding the gasket. After cleaning it up, it looks fine and operation is super smooth without any lubrication. If you clean yours up thus maybe you'll have a good backup or otherwise can get a decent dollar for it.

• Member Contributer

Pic of offending gas cap. Inside of tank is pristine, as is the rest of the bike. I suspect ethanol and extended periods of sitting. 24K miles in 16 years. I am too anal to leave this as is, new cap will be installed soon. It looks fairly easy to swap the locks. The FSM does not have an exploded view of the lock assembly, that's why I was checking to see if anyone has been down this path.

post-34012-0-21011500-1458310965.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks Steve, the new gas cap is installed and as you mentioned it was a bit fiddly, but not bad at all.

VFR Gas Cap.jpg

Archived