Lower Bar Risers

vlj1216

I'm curious how an inch and a half or two lower would feel. I see here...

[/url]http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/35157-lower-bars[/url]

that it's been done and he liked the results. I'm 6'4 and I could get away with a little lower bar riser, still be very upright and comfortable when wanted and then get low more comfortable also. I know lower is definitely not the way the majority go but I definitely don't need taller and I'm curious as to how shorter would feel and perform.

I was looking for an inexpensive experiment. Does anyone know if say the Blackbird, Superhawk or something else with shorter risers would swap over? Anyone out there done this? Thoughts?

You need 45mm bars, VTR1000F and Blackbird are 43mm.

2003 CBR600RR bars might work, I think they were 45mm (the model before they went to USD forks).

Ok so 45mm is the size. I think the CBR bars are regular supersport style and have no rise to them, I think that might interfere with the body/fairings.

I'm kinda surprised that this hasn't been tried on a 6gen.

• Member Contributer

VLJ,

VTec VFRs have 43 mm fork stanchions, the same as on the CBR1100 XX. They are ~0,75" lower than those on the VTec and would offer an oe look.

Btw, Phantom is confused about fork sizes: 1990-2001 VFR750/800 and all VTR1000F are equipped with 41 mm forks.

VLJ,

VTec VFRs have 43 mm fork stanchions, the same as on the CBR1100 XX. They are ~0,75" lower than those on the VTec and would offer an oe look.

Btw, Phantom is confused about fork sizes: 1990-2001 VFR750/800 and all VTR1000F are equipped with 41 mm forks.

Ok, 43mm...gotcha. .75" shorter sounds good. I should be able to find a used cbr1100 xx setcon eBay.

• Member Contributer

Another possible source is cbrxx.com. VFR bars are a common swap for 'Bird owners and there might be some on the forum with a spare set laying around - maybe for cheap!

• 2 weeks later...

I -just- fitted some blackbird bars to mine. there's some interference, but I'm so far really liking the look and feel

I'll keep playing with it til I get it at least close to not hitting stuff.

I got my eBay set the other day and fitted them. I found interference at the plastic trim that covers the fuses. It's about a 1/4 inch short of complete lock, the levers touch...I could live with that. I also had to loosen and slightly adjust the reservoir hoses, no big deal.

I fitted one side and left the other stock and just sat there and felt it, without riding it I really didn't feel a difference that made me want to keep going with the swap. I ended up leaving it stock. I do plan to complete the swap and ride but from what I felt, I was like ehh. What do you think, is there a huge difference in performance? I don't think the 1/4" loss of complete lock will be a problem at all. I really just didn't want to fight with my left grip to get it off to swap over :)

• Member Contributer

no need to fight with it. take a air hose and blow air up under the grip, should come right off. if you don't have a air compressor, take the bar to any shop m/c or automotive and im sure they can handle it within seconds.

• Member Contributer

Just sitting on the bike in the garage tells you nothing. You really need to fit both 'bars and take it for a ride, preferably one as long as your typical ride distance.

How much lower is the CBR-XX 'bar, and do they have the same droop?

I fitted one side and left the other stock and just sat there and felt it, without riding it I really didn't feel a difference that made me want to keep going with the swap … I do plan to complete the swap and ride but from what I felt, I was like ehh.

• Member Contributer

This Blackbird site (Dutch owners - I ran it through Google translate) has side by side comparison of VFR vs stock bars on a 'Bird. Scrolling down the page he posts a .gif of several different options including the VFR bars. It gives a direct look from the side at both rise and droop of both.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blackbirdownersclub.eu%2FphpBB3%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D3%26t%3D7539&edit-text=&act=url

handlebar_01.gif

Rider's view

1100XX%20mit%20VFR800%20Stummeln%202.jpg

Front view

1100XX%20mit%20VFR800%20Stummeln%201.jpg

Archived