Throttle Bodieswap

BiKenG

Question

I've read some oblique references to this, but nothing complete. Basically...

• Can later throttle bodies be used on the 5th Gen?
  • If so, which ones?
  • What are the differences?
  • What might the advantages be?

I'm sure someone will know this off the top of their head and I'd be grateful if they could help with information.

9 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

From what I think I know, the 6th gen will fit, but you need the airbox as well.

Injectors are different, multi orifice on the 6th, single orifice on the 5th.

I've always wanted to replace just the injectors, but nobody seems to know it they will fit 5th gen throttle body.

At least nobody answered when I asked the question.

• Member Contributer

The injectors are different sizes, so no, can't be done that way. They also use different wiring connectors. I'm looking for alternative & now have a spare TB to play with, will let the world know if I find a solution :)

The injectors are different sizes, so no, can't be done that way. They also use different wiring connectors. I'm looking for alternative & now have a spare TB to play with, will let the world know if I find a solution :)

Spare what TB? Another 5th Gen or a 6th Gen?

I'm surprised the connectors are different, but I'm sure they could be obtained.

So does the 6th Gen airbox fit straight in the 5th Gen or any more mods required?

Could the 5th Gen TB be adapted to accept the 6th Gen injectors?

And the killer for me, which models have manual idle speed control. My 5.1 Gen with fast idle cable has an idle speed screw. What about the 5.2 Gen with wax fast idle unit? Does that still have an idle speed screw you can adjust? Mohawk?

What about 6th Gen? Idle speed screw you can adjust or all controlled by the ECU.

• Member Contributer

I have a spare 5th TB, came with a spare engine I bought. You might be able to adapt any number of multihole injectors, but I've not been able to find a compatible injector that will drop in.

AFAIK the 6th gen TB & airbox are all you need, in fact just the airbox bottom half As the filters are the same a as is the airbox top !

The EFI connection to the TB is the same, but on right side of 6th & left on 5th

I thought there was a thread where a member (Ranger...something) was trying to fit 6th gen bodies on his 5th gen.

I thought so too and I'm sure I did read something somewhere, but can't find it now.

What about idle speed control? Anyone able to confirm whether there is manual adjustment on the later 5th Gen and/or 6th Gen?

Update. Downloaded a 6th Gen manual and that shows the adjusting knob for idle speed control (same as on RVT). So I think swapping to 6th Gen TBs would be a good move.

It would appear it's rangerscott69 who has done this, so I need to find the appropriate thread and read up on what he did.

--

Found it.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/63731-6th-gen-throttlebody-assembly-on-01-5th-gen-engine/page-1

• Member Contributer

There is a manual idle speed control on the 2000 - 2001 fifth gens. It is in the exposed right-hand frame rail. Under a small black rubber cap.

Had a look at injectors used:-

VFR800

06164-PCA-000

’98-’01

16450-MCW-004

’02-’05

16450-MEL-003

’06-’12

RC45

06164-MW4-000

16450-MFL-003

VFR1200

CBR1000RR8-12

16450-MFJ-D01

CBR600RR12

The VFR800 is most relevant, the rest as comparison. I only checked up to '12 so those parts might be used on later models too.

So the first 800s used single hole injectors, but apparently these changed to multi-hole in '02 with the introduction of V-Tec. But injectors changed again in '06. What is the difference, anyone know? Or did multi-hole injectors not actually appear until '06, with some other change introduced for '02?

Archived