3Rd Gen Fuel Petcock O-Ring

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know the size of the 3rd Gen fuel petcock o-ring? My bike was smelling like fuel all day on my ride, and I got home and could not find a leak anywhere........I kept smelling gas and looked in the garage and the tank surrounded by a puddle of gas. I'm not sure if the riveted plate on the petcock is leaking, or the o-ring. Honda no longer sells the o-ring by itself, and the petcock/o-ring combo is $84......I can measure it, but it would be great if someone had one to measure to save me the hassle of having it apart for a few days to measure and try to find one. Right now it only leaks if I have more than half a tank.

Also, is Buna-N okay for use with gasoline, or is there a special type of o-ring compatable with fuel?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

do yourself a favor and find the leak.

it could be the fuel line is cracked ... filter , loose clamp.. etc..

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I tried to shorten it up as I tend to ramble.....I was looking for the leak to no avail, and still kept smelling gas. The tank was off the bike, and in a puddle of gas on the floor in the garage. I lifted it up onto a garbage can and tried to see where it was coming from, but it was really hard to tell. I sealed the outlet with a cap and clamp so I know it's not just leaking past the valve. It was making so much mess, I drained most of it into my (project) car gas tank. When it gets below 1/2 it does not leak - unless its hot, then it leaks down to 1/4-ish.

I googled the Buna-N and both those and Viton are great for gasoline, Viton has better longevity, but turns into some really toxic (deadly) gas if combusted (fuel fire) and they are not as easy to find and cost way more - not that I'm worried about the cost of an O-ring - just relaying what I found to help anyone else in the future.

I may just suck it up and buy the new one, and grind off the rivets on the old one to see what is inside to see if it is serviceable..............going through the parts file I noticed quite a few parts are no longer available.........

• Member Contributer

well, if your lucky the its just loose on the bung.. you can buy gas proof pipe tape to seal that up..

if its visibly leaking from the riveted area.. then by all means grind them off and tap it for screws.

:fing02:

gallery_5310_4809_505851.jpg

gallery_5310_4809_17149.jpg

There are two "square" section (with a small groove around the OD, similar to two O-rings vulcanised together) rubber O-rings. The seat measures 6,85mm ID & 10,0mm on the OD of he side walls. The seat width measures 2,2mm. The ID of the hole in the riveted plate measures 10,1mm.

Hope this helps in finding suitable O-rings.

• Member Contributer

If you mean the big o-ring between the petcock and the tank, it's approximately 24mm x 2mm (and still available from Honda). The o-rings inside the petcock have never been sold separately by Honda, but check out this thread. The sources listed there are UK-based, however. I had thought I had updated that thread with the dimensions of the internal o-rings, but clearly I did not. Maybe it was another thread... I ordered the petcock rebuild kit from NRP, which actually doesn't use special o-rings like the OEM ones shown above. Let me know if you need those dimensions. (But I wouldn't drill the rivets unless I was sure I needed to rebuild the petcock.)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Wow, you guys are awesome! Looks like I'm not the first to have this issue.........

My forks and shock for the 1200 will be here Friday, after a much needed massaging from Jamie at DMr. Once I get that bike back together I will dig into the 750.

Also, if someone would be so kind as to help me figure out how to post pictures, I will put a few up. There used to be a help page for that, but for the life of me I can't find it - plus it wasn't written in non-computer literate English.....I know, I'm challenged...............

Thanks again for all the info!

Also, if someone would be so kind as to help me figure out how to post pictures, I will put a few up. There used to be a help page for that, but for the life of me I can't find it - plus it wasn't written in non-computer literate English.....I know, I'm challenged...............

Here are the help pages: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=help

I see you already know how to upload pictures to your gallery, there is some info on how to use the gallery posting tool. Not sure if that one still works, what I do is open (in another browser tab) the pic in my gallery (or in this case: yours :biggrin:) and click on options=>share links and then copy-paste the provided link in my post. There are four link options, I always use the BBcode as than when you click on the picture, you get redirected to the gallery where there may be some more pics on the subject.

gallery_33430_7623_732819.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks..........the website instructions say to click on "My Controls" which I never found.............

Like this...........(I hope)

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/73237-1990-vfr-750-006/

Nope - I see "more reply options", but no "Options" button - where is it?

HA!

gallery_33430_7623_2927760.jpg

Thanks V4!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

Jim, what a great shot. Verrrrry clean, white wheels, fender eliminator, beautiful bike, glad you figured out photos!

Thanks Noel, I hope you are enjoying the Z-bomb...........

• Member Contributer

Thanks!

I machined the top triple clamp myself - 20 plus years ago. The stock clip-ons are below the triple, and it has a GSXR tach and speedo, as well as ZX7R brake and clutch levers with remote reservoirs. I got married and had kids, so the bike stayed in the garage. Still not even close to my first valve adjustment......

• Member Contributer

Thanks JZH!

It looks like you have a nice collection of bikes, I thought I had a lot of fuel tanks to fill......and rubber to replace....I used to have a 1989 Yamaha FZR400R, what a blast!

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, "collection" is accurate. I actually have a "career high" of five bikes fully legal to ride right now. The others...are not!

Ciao,

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, it's been six months plus, and I finally fixed the fuel leak. The  16958-KY6-003  O-ring seems like it did the trick. Been busy with all the BS of life and working on as well as riding the 7th Gen, so I was not in a hurry.....obviously! The old O-ring was brittle, and broke upon removal. Thanks again JZH and Rosso for the help!

A few riding impressions, after spending 6 months solid on the 7th Gen:

When I first got on the 3rd Gen, it felt so much smaller, and I really noticed how much narrower it was down by the shifter as my foot kept slipping off. Also, I kept looking for the gear indicator...... my mind has become lazy, I felt like I was tasked with counting cards all of a sudden - it's only 6 gears.....

The trans is much lighter action (3rd Gen), probably due to the fact that it only has to deal with half the power and torque. Speaking of torque, I was missing half of it......wow how easily you get used to double the power and torque. Also, the brakes on the 3rd Gen need serious help - I will look for some modern brakes on Craigslist.

The 3rd Gen feels so much more raw and connected (planted), while the 7th Gen feels refined, and lively (changes direction quicker). 

Being 26 years old, it is now my nostalgia bike, and will get only occasional use. It's not boring by any means, but I did notice I was really on it most of the time. It felt good, but wasn't as thrilling as I am used to, as my grey-matter-powered speed-o-meter, has been re-calibrated by the 7th Gen.

I will take it out this weekend and try to snap a front-page worthy picture.

Cheers!

Archived