Another Newbie From Texas

Michael32

Working on a deal that will put an 02 VFR in my garage next week.

Bike has:

2 previous owners

36k miles

A few scratches

One small crack in fairing

Sitting outside for at least a year

Sargent seat

Zero shield

New fluids-all

Fairly new pads

Chain and sprocket 5k ago

Bike needs: front tire

Battery

Lots of wax?

Lube all controls?

Check for recall

To be rode

Everything else is stock

Am I missing anything?

• Member Contributer

Have a look at the date code on the tires. No matter the tread - if they're getting on in years and have been sitting outside since this time 2015 or longer, new rubber might be in order.

• 3 weeks later...

Bike is ready to ride. Recall was done. Controls were lubed. New tire on front. Figured out that the baffles have been removed.

Runs great. Ordered, but UPS ran a fork lift over the box. These plastics are fine, just a little faded. Everything works great except for the rear shock. Cannot move the adjuster. So here is my question, is the rear shock on a 2002 red?

Thanks for any answers!

Ordered new plastics but UPS decided I didn't need them.

post-34956-0-75287200-1456620854.jpeg

Were you provided service records? Depending on those, check the thermostat for stuck open position. Tune the starter valves. Make sure the brakes are not binding.

A long freeway run being gentle on the throttle, then check the mileage. While mileages vary, this one piece of data can catch problems or validate that everything is in the green.

You should put the VFR at the top of your bike list in your profile, because it is clearly the most awesome bike that you own.

No service records. Will check on thermostat and starter valves. Brake pads were slapped on by po and were not wearing in an even pattern. That was corrected when the new front tire was put on the bike. As far as moving the bike up on the totem pole, I like your idea.

Thanks for the heads up! Such a sweet ride.

Now I know why I have always wanted a VFR.

Archived