Replaced My Clutch Cover

fonque

One of the previous owners of my bike went down pretty hard on the right side which damaged just about everything on that side, including bending the brake pedal. Tonight I finally got around to replacing the clutch cover

20151209_225043.jpg

20151209_225011.jpg

I installed a new OEM clutch cover. I got it from Partzilla along with the oil cap, the crank cap and 2 new o-rings.

20151209_235357.jpg

I also took this picture, does anyone know what these letters mean?

20151209_232825.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nope, sorry I can't help you with what those letters mean.

I do have a question. What are your plans for the old clutch cover? If you aren't going to use it, or haven't already sold it to someone, could I buy it from you?

• Member Contributer

I think those letters are put there by the person who originally assembled your engine. I have something similar across the very rear of the engine cases below the header pipes.

• Member Contributer

I do have a question. What are your plans for the old clutch cover? If you aren't going to use it, or haven't already sold it to someone, could I buy it from you?

I have a spare. Ever so slightly rashed in the usual place. PM me if interested Wagzhp.

• Member Contributer

Do I have junkyard motor?

I tossed the old cover in the trash, didn't think about selling it until I learned about the Seb transparent clutch covers.

Sacrilege!

• Member Contributer

I have a spare. Ever so slightly rashed in the usual place. PM me if interested Wagzhp.
Very cool. Pm sent.

Do I have junkyard motor?

I tossed the old cover in the trash, didn't think about selling it until I learned about the Seb transparent clutch covers.

Sacrilege!
I know, right!? LOL

• Member Contributer

Those marks have no relation to the clutch cover. They are placed there during the manufacturing process. They probably have to do with the machining of the crankcase halves. When they manufacture castings like the crankcase, there is some variation in the final machined dimensions, piece to piece. That is why the two halves of the crankcase are married for life (the parts are not interchangeable with those from other engines). Small variations in the line-bore, for example, are measured and recorded. Subsequent machining operations take that into account. The amount of material removed when surfacing the cylinder head deck would take the variation into account to ensure the correct compression ratio (and avoid piston contact with the head).

Archived