Volt Meter Intsall With Pdm60 Power Distribution Module

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

So trying to keep up with the Jones', I decided to install a volt meter on my '01. However, since I also had a few other items that I would be powering up, I decided to get a Rowe Electronics PDM60 power distribution module. It is programmable so that you can have up to 60 amps total among 6 individual power leads, most ranging from 0-15 amps with one circuit that can go up to 20 amps, but not intended for continuous use. This would be used for something momentary like a horn. Each lead can be setup for either a constant output, an ignition triggered output, a contact closure triggered output and/or a combination of the few. i.e. Contact closure OR ignition trigger, contact closure AND ignition trigger.

PDM%20Install%2008_zpse61zwsa1.jpg

I currently have at least three items that I wanted to have setup as switched, a radar detector, horn and electric gear connection. In addition, I also have the volt meter and its back light. Rather than have a constant parasitic draw coming from the volt meter, I decided to add a momentary contact switch that will allow me to trigger a relay and allow the battery voltage to be read as long as I have the contact closed. Note that if you want the circuit to say active once the contact trigger has been activated, the switch has to be a latched on/off type, not a momentary like for my application.

PDM%20Install%2005_zps7c4x6so2.jpg

PDM%20Install%2004_zpsisldvruc.jpg

PDM%20Install%2003_zpsazhma1s7.jpg

PDM%20Install%2006_zpsgf1ulei5.jpg

PDM%20Install%2002_zps8acgcpzo.jpg

PDM%20Install%2001_zps02rjky30.jpg

Since the meter has a back light I used an ignition trigger on this lead so that the back light only comes on when the ignition is turned on. Same goes for the horn and electrical gear. What the PDM also allows is a power on delay and a power off delay. Which means that I can delay any of these circuits to turn on or off after the ignition switch has been turned on or off. This could come in handy when riding in the cold so when you turn off your bike, you can leave the electric gear lead on for a few minutes, thus allowing you to stay warm for a while.

The only drawback of the delay feature is that it is global, meaning that all circuits using a delay will have the same delay time, on or off. So if you wanted to have your HID lights turn on after say 30 seconds but your radar detector or other device turn on sooner, you couldn't do that. Essentially the installation was a day long process as I really took my time making sure all of my connections were solid and that the wiring routing was nice and clean. As for the ignition triggered lead, I tapped off of the license plate light power lead which was right near where I mounted the PDM60.

PDM%20Install%2007_zpsv7saogm6.jpg

• Member Contributer

Lookin good! Ball park, what did that voltmeter run you? It looks similar to a Honda Marine meter that I remember being a little pricey.

Faze is about a $100 looks like . But nice .

Only cost me $12.95 off of eBay! But if it looks like $100, hope no one tries to take it!

• Member Contributer

Lookin good! Ball park, what did that voltmeter run you? It looks similar to a Honda Marine meter that I remember being a little pricey.

Faze is about a $100 looks like . But nice .

Only cost me $12.95 off of eBay! But if it looks like $100, hope no one tries to take it!

Good price !

• Member Contributer

Very nice install! Kudos~

^^^ +1. Very clean and well thought out installation!

Thanks guys. I actually laid out everything on paper and pre-configured the software for the PDM60 before I began the physical installation. I also re-ran the wires to the volt meter as I changed the which side I was going to put it on mid-way through the install. For some reason I liked it on the right side better. Used up most of my heat shrink tubing too!

Archived