97 Vfr Stalls At 3000 Rmp When Cold

ZiggyVFR

So I have a 97 VFR and have always had this issue since new but is seems worse.

97 VFR stock as a rock.

had the Carbs rebuilt and should be clean.

when cold if I get on the gas is just goes dead at about 3k untill its warm

once warm it is ok.

however I am at a higher altitude and it seems now to take for ever to warm up

and it seems to really have a loss of power. Im at 4700 feet so not super high.

but starting to have issues.

today it seemed like it loss a lot of power only runing on three clinders or something , then it came back close to normal.

I put some carb cleaner in it for now to see if that helps.

i just had gone through the carbs and at home at sea levle all seemed good. or at least normal time to warm.

Any thoughts?

• Member Contributer

If it takes forever to warm up I'd check for a stuck-open thermostat. The thermostat should keep the coolant circulating through the engine only until it gets to 80C or so, then open to let the hot coolant get to the radiator. So when you start the bike, the radiator should stay stone cold for quite a few minutes, then get uncomfortably hot suddenly. If the radiator slowly heats up from cold, you need a new thermostat, and that should help the bike get to its best operating temperature quickly. Might help your carb woes?

• Member Contributer

Bike probably needs to be rejetted ,they were very lean to get by the emissions when new and the gas at the time was actually gas . Now with the mixture of gas and ethanol and whatever else they put in it these days it has gotten worse .

• Member Contributer

It never hurts to check for vacuum leaks - good connections, clamps secure, cracked hoses, etc. Also, water in the fuel or a partially plugged fuel filter can contribute to driveability issues. If you want to try ethanol free gas, pure-gas.org has a list of stations nationwide that carry it.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't tell us it goes dead at 3k if the choke is in use. Check thermostat cuz it won't ever run quite right while it's to cold. Signs suggest the carbs need another PROPER carb clean, paying special attention to the idle jets. Simply seeing a bit of light through the hole is not sufficient to indicate the hole is fully clear. That's why a steel wire of .010"-.012" diameter (# 38 to $42 jets) must be pushed through to be sure it's open to OEM specs.

If you can get a tool to reset he idle mixture adjustment screws, it would be good to experiment opening those up a bit.

Does your bike surge at low throttle openings at low speed ?

Archived