4 Lug Axle To 5 (Vfr1200 Wheel Conversion)

lanesmatb

Question

Just wanted to throw this idea out here on the board for some feedback:

Put a 6" VFR 1200 wheel on a 5th gen. Aesthetics is a personal thing, but I like the looks and it also give an addition 0.5" width to run a 190.

The ability to mod the 4 lug wheel flange is pretty easy - plugging/welding the 4 holes and re-drilling for a 5 hole configuration is $90.00 through Moser Engineering .

The questions are:

Centering flange diameter on the 1200 wheel the same as the 800 axle?

Offset between the 1200 vs 800 wheels (will the wheel center up)

Axle center to lug distance (ensure that there is enough outer mounting flange material on the 4 lug axle)

Thoughts? Anyone have a spare VFR1200 wheel laying around and a dial caliper?

Scott L.

2 minutes ago, KevCarver said:

Oh, is it 6"? I'm not sure I noticed that earlier. The 8th Gen is still 5.5"? So would that mess up anything?

Well it comes with a 190 tyre and Honda normally only fit that to a 6". But if the offset is the same 19mm it would make no difference swapping it from a 5.5, as long as there's clearance to the Swing-Arm as I suspect there would be.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, it's a nice looking wheel. Pretty expensive, I'm betting. Back a couple years ago the previous model was fairly cheap brand new. Haven't found an '18 in the parts fiche yet.

Yes, since it's so new and maybe not even available yet, only new parts available and that means expensive. But it's another option and used stuff will eventually start to trickle through.

But we would first need confirmation of the dimensions. Although I reckon my suppositions are correct, that's all they are and I wouldn't put down any money prior to confirmation.

• Member Contributer

And the matching front wheel...that could also be useful.  It's not the traditional look, but definitely a more modern one, if that works for you/someone.   (The sprocket carrier on the  2018 1000R is hideous, however.)

Ciao, 

1 hour ago, JZH said:

...   (The sprocket carrier on the  2018 1000R is hideous, however.)

Ciao, 

Really? You think so? I disagree. I think it is way neater than the bulbous lump that the VFRs were saddled with by Honda. The direct drive bikes are a different matter and look great, but I've always thought the cush drives made the back end look big and heavy. The one on the new CB1000R however is slimmer and neater I think. Might be better just plain black though. Easy fix. 😀

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, BiKenG said:

Really? You think so? I disagree. I think it is way neater than the bulbous lump that the VFRs were saddled with by Honda. The direct drive bikes are a different matter and look great, but I've always thought the cush drives made the back end look big and heavy. The one on the new CB1000R however is slimmer and neater I think. Might be better just plain black though. Easy fix. 😀

I'm with you on that. I hadn't really even seen it yet, so I looked it up. Can't tell if it's slimmer or just different.

• Member Contributer

Seriously? 

maxresdefault.jpg

This sprocket carrier is attractive?  I think it detracts from the whole bike!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, JZH said:

Seriously? 

maxresdefault.jpg

Ciao,

Yep, I like the bike but first thing that would go is that carrier look.

Maybe a good sand blast would fix it.

I don't see the problem, but if it offends, do as The Stones claimed all those years ago and "Paint it Black" 😀

Ignoring the colour aspect, that carrier is a lot slimmer and less bulbous than the earlier VFRs. Who says size doesn't matter 😉

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, JZH said:

Seriously? 

maxresdefault.jpg

Ciao,

The only thing that could make that carrier look worse would be that if the polished part was actually a spinner. Remember those days? :barf: 

For those who need a refresh: 

1TGB.gif?dl=0

8 minutes ago, adkfinn said:

The only thing that could make that carrier look worse would be that if the polished part was actually a spinner. Remember those days? :barf: 

That car has bigger problems than just the spinning wheel trims. 😀

Really guys, the carrier/cush on the new CB1000R is such a non issue. Like it or hate it, but surely it cannot seriously affect anyone's buying decision. Don't like it? Paint it. Such an easy solution. Sometimes I think people get too hung up on what after all is absolute trivia. More importantly, it seems like it's a very good bike and I think Honda nailed the styling this time (cush/carriers aside). I still prefer my FireFighter, but I get pleasure from the fact I did that myself. However I think the new CB is spot on for the zeitgeist.

Even more importantly, back on topic, I still don't know the PCD of the 5 bolt wheel mount bolts for the 8th Gen VFR nor the CB above (I guess they're the same). Can someone with a 5 bolt wheel (except VFR1200) measure the PCD and let me know. Would be much appreciated.

Archived