Delkovic Headers Gen 5

ScottyAdams

They're stainless. About 3 bills. Going to have bike apart in winter.

Pros? Cons?

Mock up and then tighten stuff up? Sound better? Waste of money?

Thanks in advance for your highly valuable opinions.

A friend of mine bought the delkevic, "rubbish" hihi...

Nah looked great and did fit very well. :cool:

He did a remap with the headers and the other standard mods such as PC3 air-filter flapper, pair etc and got 105bhp on the wheel.

Two concerns; broken studs (will hit 'em with PB Blaster for several days ahead of time), and the headers coming to close to the cowls and melting them.

But being a contortionist, I have no worries about reaching stuff, and both cowls and the clutch cover are coming off anyways. So, since I'm doing all that, I may as well trick it up a bit.

Just want everyone's two cents. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

They won't give you any more performance than the '99 stock headers you have, they have the same primary pipe ID (Internal Diameter)... you will only gain power if you are switching from the newer exhausts with a catalytic converter and smaller primaries to a cat-less and do the associated mods to take advantage of the engine breathing better...

Since you already are missing the kitty you're not gaining anything performance wise. You'd gain more power from grinding the internal welds smooth on your existing headers primary pipe mounting flanges.

They are stainless and shiny...

I bought a set a few years ago, and ceramic coated them.

Catless, and lighter, and stainless. Not more performance as such, but much lighter, and with a much lighter scorpion can, less weight to push, feels faster.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, gotta have a project. As least they'll be shiny. I'll sand and polish the aluminum bits along the way too. Winter is 6 months in Cleveland. Plenty of time to screw stuff up.

I've only ridden the VFR 400 miles this summer. It's one helluva bike. I reminds me very much of my Duc 900 SS (1997). Nice handling, but without the discomfort of all the weight on my wrists and not annoying grabby, dry clutch. I love this bike. I make pick up another to make it a long range bike with saddlebags and all that. It's a fine, fine machine. Wasn't even on my list. Just happened to be.

Love it. And that V4 sound. With the gear whine. Man....

• Member Contributer

Two concerns; broken studs (will hit 'em with PB Blaster for several days ahead of time), and the headers coming to close to the cowls and melting them.

But being a contortionist, I have no worries about reaching stuff, and both cowls and the clutch cover are coming off anyways. So, since I'm doing all that, I may as well trick it up a bit.

Just want everyone's two cents. Thanks.

Rather than PB Blaster, you could hit them with a 50:50 blend of ATF and Acetone...that is the "best" way to loosen stubborn nuts/screws/bolts as measured in this study:

http://machinistchest.blogspot.com/2014/01/lab-report-1-what-is-best-penetrating.html

This really works...

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

As the 98-99 headers are as rare as hens teeth, this is my best option for cat removal on my 2000. I'm itching to order a set. Unless someone has a set for sale?

Not really, I've seen several used sets on me-pay of late; however, I did go with new over 16 year old stockers. Or better yet, a used "new" set of SS for a great price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-vfr-delkevic-full-header-system-98-09-/321853703819?hash=item4aeff9c68b&vxp=mtr

As the 98-99 headers are as rare as hens teeth, this is my best option for cat removal on my 2000. I'm itching to order a set. Unless someone has a set for sale?

Not really, I've seen several used sets on me-pay of late; however, I did go with new over 16 year old stockers. Or better yet, a used "new" set of SS for a great price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-vfr-delkevic-full-header-system-98-09-/321853703819?hash=item4aeff9c68b&vxp=mtr

well crap...I just paid under this, the only plus is guaranteed fitment. lol

unless its a set of two brothers racing or erion headers, you are not picking up any measurable power.

I have had factory 2007, then motad and then two brothers. the motad did not do anything.

• Member Contributer

unless its a set of two brothers racing or erion headers, you are not picking up any measurable power.

I have had factory 2007, then motad and then two brothers. the motad did not do anything.

You get that thing on the dyno w/ the RapidBike for a stock comparo yet?

• Member Contributer

i'll do it but need to wait till next month to get the PC3. it does cost you know.

CandyRed arranged for a free dyno run of a stock (or close to) 6th gen at the US distributor for RapidBike in Orlando so we would have a same dyno comparison with CRRC46's bike for more accurate data.

... problem is we haven't had a 6th gen in Florida take him up on the offer!

Has anyone done dyno testing before and after to see how many bhp a set of headers frees up?

i'll be your huckleberry. I'll post up once they arrive. I need a month though as I need to order up the pc3 for a reall before and after dyno run.

• 3 weeks later...

The deal is, both of our bikes, on the same dyno the same day, back to back.

There is no point in dynoing on a different dyno and different conditions.

You meet me in Orlando, I will pay for your dyno run (not tuning).

Archived