Abs Light Flashing Constantly; Pulsing Through Front Brake Lever

I was surprised last weekend when I headed up to the GA mountains for a ride, and found that the first time I applied the front brakes I could feel what I will describe as pulsing through the brake lever. I continued to work the front lever until the pulsing stopped; all seemed well then the ABS light came on and flashed constantly the rest of the ride. I checked this site on my first stop to see if there was anything I could learn to minimize my concern but did not see anything that put my mind at ease. I have subsequently cleaned the front and rear brake calipers and replaced the brake fluid with Motul 5.1; used this in my other VFR 1200 and loved it. After the work I cleaned it up and rode carefully around the neighborhood; everything started out great then the pulsing started again in the front lever. I have not ridden it long enough to see if the ABS light comes back on and frankly, am not sure I want to try. One noticeable difference is that I had to adjust my front lever out; it is an ASV lever; from were it was with the stock fluid so that I did not pull the lever too far toward the grip.

In as much, I am reaching out to the brain trust here to see what recommendations 'you' can make? My thought is to combine what I learn here in conjunction with what I learn from calling several Honda dealerships. The bike is under warranty just in case there is a bigger issue.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Matt.

If your ABS light is coming on, It may be that the ABS system thinks the two wheels are turning at different speeds....have a good look at the ABS rings on each wheel, also check the wiring to each ABS sensor and their connectors, there may be a broken wire or something silly like that.

It may be that the ABS system is doing what it's supposed to be doing, but is being deceived by faulty wiring at one of the sensors or similar.

Smithy.

• Member Contributer

There's a gap spec between the pickup sensors and each pulser ring - I don't have a gen 7 manual, but that's relatively easy to check if you can find the spec.

There's a gap spec between the pickup sensors and each pulser ring - I don't have a gen 7 manual, but that's relatively easy to check if you can find the spec.

Good thought...!

Answers to questions: the rotors are fine, the factory brake fluid was in the bike when the problem started, the lever was installed about 400 miles ago and there were no issues then, the bike has 850 miles (bought new in May with 7 miles on it/2010 model), will investigate the gap and have checked all the wires. Thanks for the ideas/input...

• Member Contributer

Answers to questions: the rotors are fine, the factory brake fluid was in the bike when the problem started, the lever was installed about 400 miles ago and there were no issues then, the bike has 850 miles (bought new in May with 7 miles on it/2010 model), will investigate the gap and have checked all the wires. Thanks for the ideas/input...

Well, atleast if you bought it new in May it should still be under warranty so you may not want to kill yourself troubleshooting in spite of the understandable resistance to wanting to hand your bike over to some Honda tech.

I will give her a ride this weekend and see if the light flashes again; Honda is estimating a $120-$140 charge to 'diagnose' the problem. I really hate that so I always do what I can. I also plan to reach out to Honda North America if the problem persists to see if there is more information than the yahoos I have spoken to thus far at the dealerships. Scary really.

• Member Contributer

Why would they charge you to "diagnose" a warranty problem? The ABS isn't working... it should be. You haven't crashed or operated the bike outside its intended use.

You may want to remind them the bike is under warranty and charging you is not appropriate?

- Dan

• Member Contributer

Did you clean and check both ABS wheel senors ?Front and back . They need to be clean and make sure there nothing on sensor ring.

• Member Contributer

It's the latest dealership scam. They charge you upfront so that they don't have to come after you after the fact if they find you did something that would void the warranty.

Complete lack of appreciation of the customer.

I went thru 2 front rotors (distorted) and had abs light flashing. I was thinking, time for another rotor, than came upon a youtube video of cleaning the bobbins/buttons. I would usually wash my bike but not washing the brake rotors, well not very well anyway. Using a bolt and nut with plenty of brake cleaner, turning all the bobbins, freed up the stuck buttons. The rotors on our bike are semi-floating and once it gets enough brake dust build-up the rotors stuck, hence beginning of warp rotors. After cleaning the buttons, no more abs lights coming on and back to smooth even braking. I now clean the brake rotors thoroughly every time I wash my bike.

Here is the youtube link.

• Member Contributer

Tried that technique. Did not work on my EBC RC51 rotors! Sheared a bolt, in fact. Works easily on my OE ST1300 rotors, so I cleaned them out. Turn easier after, but not by finger pressure alone. Weren't giving me issues anyway, but figured I'd give it a go.

Archived