99 White Vfr

Tews19

Has anyone repainted a 99 VFR white? I know there is no need to paint but the white VFR's are my favorite. Anyone have any pics of this year painted white? Or with the wheels Powder coated white?

• Member Contributer

I have white wheels on my red '01 and have actually entertained the idea of painting the whole bike white but alas, I think the red with white wheels looks pretty nice, if I do say so myself. I do have to agree with you though, the VFR (all years IMO) do look good in white!

Here's mine in its current state

IMG_1897_zpsftcircns.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think that all generations would look good in white! here is my 4th And the 8th

IMG 0020

20140726 092152

wera910 painted a 5th gen white with gold wheels. Look in his gallery, I think he has a couple of pictures in there. I'm at work and inserting pictures won't work for me.

All bikes look great. White seems to be the best color that never was for the years it did not come from the factory. I have never liked white but a white VFR speaks to me. I am for sure going to powder coat the wheels white this winter. The paint may wait a season due to cost. Thanks for all pictures

• Member Contributer

All bikes look great. White seems to be the best color that never was for the years it did not come from the factory. I have never liked white but a white VFR speaks to me. I am for sure going to powder coat the wheels white this winter. The paint may wait a season due to cost. Thanks for all pictures

One word of caution on the white wheels, they are a bitch to keep clean.

• Member Contributer

One word of caution on the white wheels, they are a bitch to keep clean.
Yep, but they sure do look good when they are clean!

I am also a Ducati guy, and always wondered why the factory was so reluctant to come out with a white bike. They finally did with the 1098 & 848, and they look amazing...

• Member Contributer

Regarding wheel color, Glynn Kerr writes a design column for Consumer Motorcycle News and did an article on mc wheels and the design challenge dealing with them. Because they break the flow of bodywork lines, to emphasize the cowling, most wheels are painted black or a dark color to make them "disappear" from the general form of the machine.

He said it a lot better than that but I do not have the energy to track down the article right now.

Made sense to me and I've liked black wheels even more since that article.

In my view wheels make the car, motorcycle, truck, trailer or bus. They are the most essential part of the entire design. They should be treated as such. Black wheels are for those without imagination. Sorry to offend anyone. I've had 'wet white' wheels on 2 bikes. Very slippery powder coatings on 3 spoke cast wheels. Easy to keep clean. Is it true that black wheels were invented to distract the eye from seeing the dirt?

BTW: I enjoy Glynn Kerr's work and also practiced industrial design for 50+ years. R3~

Eh, I think one of the mods here might have a white '99, but I forget his name.......

I was just reading this thread and was aghast that no one has mentioned the most badassed 5th gen on this site!

med_gallery_554_5200_7067862.jpg

• Member Contributer

Eh, I think one of the mods here might have a white '99, but I forget his name.......

I was just reading this thread and was aghast that no one has mentioned the most badassed 5th gen on this site!

med_gallery_554_5200_7067862.jpg

The Original Badass fifth gen. Heck! The Original Genuine Badass VFR! :wheel: OOPS! Right Wrong Color. GotToBe my favorite motorcycle. I'll be looking forward to meeting you in CO.

• Member Contributer

Here's one I rode earlier; loved the pearl white with gold trim.

post-22267-0-85045600-1438396999.jpg

Archived