Fugly Brackets

kyojitsu

Does anyone know of a stylish top box bracket and mount for the 5th Gen? It may be just me but I can't bring myself to lash great lumps of metal to such a pretty bike.

The only decent one I've seen is an aluminum design from SW Motech and that appears to be only available for the VTEC bikes.

I was in the same boat as you, in that I wanted a top box, but those things all over the back is just nasty. I don't think SW Motech actually makes a top box rack for the 5th either, at least that is what I was told by their US distributor/importer (Twisted Throttle) and it does not appear on their site.

A forum member here actually makes the "solo" rack that sits everything forward and looks miles better. It is a very high quality piece. Here is the thread: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/74705-reserve-a-5th-gen-solo-rack-from-kanadianken/

He does ship international as well, you may want to contact him.

• Member Contributer

Hepco & Becker make a nice sports rack that needs no ugly hardwear to attach their top boxes to.

DSCF2370

DSCF2372

Old road March 2015

before I had a top box mount on my Givi Wingrack, I bolted a box to the back half of the Sargent seat. (never used it, so why not)

315929_2488032399886_1764723159_n.jpg?oh

I just installed one of Ken's top box racks yesterday. It is a little high, which might be necessary for removing a one piece seat without disturbing the rack. I have a Sargent with a separate pillion seat so clearance is not an issue. The Givi M5 mounts to it, and any Givi Monokey case will fit on that. Ken makes a quality piece, it looks great, and bolts right up to the grab rail bosses. I'm normally not a big fan of top cases, but they have their uses and for a 5th Gen VFR Ken's is the best setup I've seen. Shipping is fast and the price is right. Highly recommend.

post-28399-0-00732000-1437848313.jpg

post-28399-0-89764900-1437848358.jpg

post-28399-0-71990100-1437848359.jpg

• Member Contributer

I just installed one of Ken's top box racks yesterday. It is a little high, which might be necessary for removing a one piece seat without disturbing the rack. I have a Sargent with a separate pillion seat so clearance is not an issue. The Givi M5 mounts to it, and any Givi Monokey case will fit on that. Ken makes a quality piece, it looks great, and bolts right up to the grab rail bosses. I'm normally not a big fan of top cases, but they have their uses and for a 5th Gen VFR Ken's is the best setup I've seen. Shipping is fast and the price is right. Highly recommend.

I think that's the type of "ugly lump of metal" he is referring to. (no offence)

• Member Contributer

I accept the practical side of them, but face it guys, no top box (or mount) is ever going to look good!

Ciao,

Unless you're the type that looks at yourself in window reflections as you ride by, you can't see the thing when your riding. The performance of the bike is unchanged. You arrive with your stuff and if it was raining that stuff is dry. I guess it just depends on what's important to you.

Archived