Windscreen Cleaning

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

Anyone know of a way to remove light scratches & scuff marks on windscreens?

• Member Contributer

I have seen guys on the internet take a heat gun and do it BUT I would not recommend it. What about the automobile headlight reconditioning kit ?

• Member Contributer

That's a great idea. If the scratches are deep enough to catch a fingernail, it might be necessary to go the sandpaper route (something like 2000 grit). It will take a lot of polishing to get the sanding scratches out - some of the headlight kits have a polishing buff that could probably do that. Some polishing compound used on paint finishes might take the scuffs out with hand buffing.

• Member Contributer

I've used the 3M headlight polishing kit with good results.

I decided to work the opposite of the normal procedure though, just because I was afraid of making things worse and creating more work for myself.

So I started with the liquid polish first to see just how much it would clean things up.

If the scuffs needed a heavier cut I went the next step coarser and maybe more depending on the scratch, then worked my way back the normal way to get to a polished finish.

If there are deep scratches, don't do the whole windshield with the coarser cuts, just the area around the scuffs, That way it's less work to bring it all back to polished.

The one I did was pretty scuffed up and did take a bit effort but very happy with the results.

• Member Contributer

Motorcyclist online has an article about this. I just ordered the meguiars products they recommend to take care of a couple of scratches. Haven't received then yet to try it out.

51GIFyE4dhL._SY355_.jpg

Did awesome on mine today. Post some pic's later .

+1 to this, just take your time with it and don't buff one spot, keep moving or you will put too much heat in the plastic and haze it. Works wonders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

51GIFyE4dhL._SY355_.jpg

Did awesome on mine today. Post some pic's later .

+1 to this, just take your time with it and don't buff one spot, keep moving or you will put too much heat in the plastic and haze it. Works wonders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your right and pickup 10mph on the on the Dragon ! :goofy:

Archived