Adjusting Cct

Lint

Hi, I don't even know how I came across this video, but I am wondering if this is possible on a VFR tensioner lifter, as it is on a CBR tensioner lifter?

The person in the video removes the bolt on the outside of the tensioner lifter and tightens a screw inside to increase tension and quiet the engine.

• Member Contributer

Hi, I don't even know how I came across this video, but I am wondering if this is possible on a VFR tensioner lifter, as it is on a CBR tensioner lifter?

The person in the video removes the bolt on the outside of the tensioner lifter and tightens a screw inside to increase tension and quiet the engine.

Based on the parts fiche, they are definitely different part numbers and do look slightly different, but doesn't mean they don't work the same internally. Might be something to look into.

Yeah, I know about the manual adjusters. My concern with them is how do I make sure they are properly adjusted? Too tight or too loose are both bad.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I know about the manual adjusters. My concern with them is how do I make sure they are properly adjusted? Too tight or too loose are both bad.

I bought a VTR1000 and these are legendary for CCT failures leading to bent valves. So the first things I bought were manual CCTs just like the ones above.

The adjustment procedure for these is to pull off the cam covers and measure 6mm slack in the chain between the sprockets. Just the same as checking the drive chain slack, and should be needed every 15000 km or so ie the same frequency as valve clearance checks. To tighten or loosen just loosen the locknut and wind the adjusting bolt in/out to suit the re tighten the locknut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I bought a VTR1000 and these are legendary for CCT failures leading to bent valves. So the first things I bought were manual CCTs just like the ones above.

The adjustment procedure for these is to pull off the cam covers and measure 6mm slack in the chain between the sprockets. Just the same as checking the drive chain slack, and should be needed every 15000 km or so ie the same frequency as valve clearance checks. To tighten or loosen just loosen the locknut and wind the adjusting bolt in/out to suit the re tighten the locknut.

Any problems with your manual CCT's on the VTR1000 Terry ?

• Member Contributer

So far so good. I've done 3000 km since installing them so I haven't had to check or adjust them yet.

• Member Contributer

Here's the guide I followed for my VTR; was not terribly stressful to do, until I found that I could not get all the timing marks on the cams and crank to align exactly. Turns out the camchain can stretch just like a drive chain (hence the need for the tensioner) so a little misalignment is to be expected after a few km.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28583

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the VFR CCT is not adjustable as the CBR one is on YouTube, but I did not try to adjust them while the bike was running as it was pumping oil out of it. I am wondering about the Cam Chains themselves, as the tensioner pushes against the chain. Is it that the stock CCT has a weak spring in it, or? What causes them to die so soon? I know oil flow is the culprit, but I am curious what actually happens.

Archived