Cruise Control

duccmann

• Member Contributer

Im using a Throttlemeister but seriously considering switching to an actual electrical cc. IIRC Audiovox was making one that some members had installed. I would like to hear their thoughts as it was pretty expensive and labor intensive to install.

• Member Contributer

NEP throttle lock. Not fancy but gives the right hand / wrist some relief. They also easily clear the tank at full lock. They're about $20 on line or at Cycle Gear.

Didn't Audiovox die a long time ago already??...... So maybe not available anymore new.....

I remember the CC from them. It was basically a rehash of the same system for cars (just made water resistant) they used to sell at discount department stores like Kmart.

The system from them was designed eons ago, and I remember seeing them even way back in the 80's totally identical to the last one I've seen years later. The system didn't look that bad, but not what you would call technically impressive of cool looking either, with second tier materials and finishes. I guess it worked well enough for most people.

IMO, you'd be better off just using a "manual" CC like the Throttle Meister or similar, as the complications of an electric system will just add burden to maintaining an already challenged electrical system on our VFRs......

I think someone on the list is using a Rostra electric cruise, but I don't remember who. It is similar to the Audiovox, but all electronic so you don't have to have a vacuum can like the Audiovox.

Had to have the McCruise on my ST, spent the big bucks and it's been installed now for 6 years. Would NOT do it again. Expensive yes, but that's because it's at the top end of the market. I've had issues with it failing because of our crap fuel here in the States (according to the OEM). The owner of the company is a nice guy and does call you to provide customer service all the way from Aus. but it just doesn't work for me because what's easy for him is difficult for me and he soon looses patience if you don't get it. If only there was shop, or tech. Stateside, it would make all the difference. I'd ride 1000+ miles to have an expert set it up properly.

I had a Throttlemeister on the ST originally and kept it on as a backup. Good thing as it's back in use again because last Sunday when I went out the McCruise was non-functional once again, despite having been torn down and the jets cleaned out just over a year ago. It's becoming an annual event.

I've got a GoCruise on the VFR and I love it. Simple, cheap and it works everytime. When I switch the ST over to a VFR1200 in a few years time I'll go with the Throttlemeister and spend the $900 in change (probably more by then) on other stuff.

Had to have the McCruise on my ST, spent the big bucks and it's been installed now for 6 years. Would NOT do it again. Expensive yes, but that's because it's at the top end of the market. I've had issues with it failing because of our crap fuel here in the States (according to the OEM). The owner of the company is a nice guy and does call you to provide customer service all the way from Aus. but it just doesn't work for me because what's easy for him is difficult for me and he soon looses patience if you don't get it. If only there was shop, or tech. Stateside, it would make all the difference. I'd ride 1000+ miles to have an expert set it up properly.

I had a Throttlemeister on the ST originally and kept it on as a backup. Good thing as it's back in use again because last Sunday when I went out the McCruise was non-functional once again, despite having been torn down and the jets cleaned out just over a year ago. It's becoming an annual event.

I've got a GoCruise on the VFR and I love it. Simple, cheap and it works everytime. When I switch the ST over to a VFR1200 in a few years time I'll go with the Throttlemeister and spend the $900 in change (probably more by then) on other stuff.

Why would the "crap fuel" have anything to do with the MCCruise? Fuel doesn't come in contact with any part of the unit nor it's controls?

What "jets" are you talking about? I don't recall there being any jets of any sort in my kit.

Mine has been working great for 15 years now, with only a keypad problem caused by moisture.

The folks at McCruise fixed me right up with a replacement keypad.

Other than that, the rest of it has been perfect.

Appologies for my use of incorrect nomenclature. After re-reading the McCruise Repair and Replacement of Solenoids and MCS020 and MCS574 Vacuum Actuators pamphlet, jets is not the correct technical term and I stand corrected. To be specific the Vacuum Solenoid Shuttle was stuck in the bottom of the housing. This required removal/disassembly of the actuator from the bike and cleaning said Solenoid Shuttle with de-natured alcohol. According to the Mr. Tony, the Chief Engineer, owner, inventor, this is caused by the CRAP GAS in the USA. His words,spoken to me via the magic of international long distance phone calling, not mine.

The same thing has happened once again, 18 months after the first time, so I'll be breaking out the de-natured alcohol once more.

I applaud your 15 years of care-free McCruising and wish my experience was similar.

• Member Contributer

I just use the large paddle looking thingy similar to the Go-Cruise. Works well and it is removable, low tech, simple to use, and does not break down. I like it. It. Was about $10 too so I liked that even more!!

Ride on!!

C

@Club racer

Badly made corn based ethonol (and to a lesser degree, sugar cane ethanol) can leave a gum inside your engine. Some parts of the US are worse than others. The fumes transport this crud to the solenoid shuttles and all it takes is a thin, non-visible coat to stick them in place over winter.

It can be cleaned with pure ethanol and a lint free rag but getting to the actuator on the ST13' is difficult - on something like the FJR13' it's right under the seat.

If you can find space on your bike for the fully electric servo (and matching computer software) it would eliminate this issue. Somewhere not right next to an exhaust pipe would be good. The unit is 2" in diamter, 6.3" long, and probably 1.5lbs in weight - link

steve@mccruise

Appologies for my use of incorrect nomenclature. After re-reading the McCruise Repair and Replacement of Solenoids and MCS020 and MCS574 Vacuum Actuators pamphlet, jets is not the correct technical term and I stand corrected. To be specific the Vacuum Solenoid Shuttle was stuck in the bottom of the housing. This required removal/disassembly of the actuator from the bike and cleaning said Solenoid Shuttle with de-natured alcohol. According to the Mr. Tony, the Chief Engineer, owner, inventor, this is caused by the CRAP GAS in the USA. His words,spoken to me via the magic of international long distance phone calling, not mine.

The same thing has happened once again, 18 months after the first time, so I'll be breaking out the de-natured alcohol once more.

I applaud your 15 years of care-free McCruising and wish my experience was similar.

Hmmm.

I've been using ethanol blended gasoline in my VFR800 almost exclusively since I bought it. That's about all we can get up here. Pure gas is difficult to find, so I don't bother.

15 years and nearly 100,000km.

The vacuum actuator on my bike has worked flawlessly since day one.

Don't know what else to say. Sorry for your luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That atlas is expensive. I have a NEP style I got for less than $20. That combined with a cramp buster is all I use. I think the electronic cc on our bikes is trouble waiting to happen. I try not to upset the electric gods with my VFR :). I have heard good things aborted go cruise. Haven't tried one yet though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I got a "Photon 2" cruise control clamp. $20, very simple plastic clamp and rubber band for grip.

Not good enough grip, though (vibration eases it off in seconds).

I boosted its stiffness with a simple zip-tie through the holes around the other side.

Works well now.

post-8780-0-30548100-1439426821.png

Archived