Where To Look Next..?

HI all, been riding my new to me '99 viffer for a couple months now and my first issue has popped up unexpectedly. Rode into work this morning, and when I went to leave, it wouldn't start. No dash lights, no fuel pump, no CLOCK! *(Although the clock was on up until i turned the key)

I checked the battery voltage, while the key was off it was at 12.5V - and the terminals were tight and corrosion free. All the fuses around the battery were in good condition, as well as the big connector near the toolbag. What i noticed was happening was, when I would turn the ignition key ON the bike seemed like it was dead, not even showing the clock. Then turning it back OFF, the clock would come back - reset at 0100. The big red dummy switch was in the correct position too!!

Im thinking some wires are damaged in the key ignition cylinder??? But I feel that I would have had some intermittent issues before this. This is sudden and throwing me for quite a curveball.....

Thanks a bunch for any help !!!

-Dave

• Member Contributer

First off, we need a photo to diagnose this problem, as without it your bike doesn't exist! :ph34r:

Second, a voltage reading isn't sufficient to determine the battery's state. Have it load tested and replace if it fails. If it's good report back and go from there.

• Member Contributer

Will do!

PROOF!!

In that case Welcome Aboard! I'm sure we'll be able to help find the culprit. For starters though, maybe go over the wiring harness for any obvious issues, burnt or melted wires/connectors, frayed or lose wires, general signs of a wiring issue.

I'm not saying it is defo the battery, but fully charged should be above that.

But remember, before you can diagnose ANY electrical problem, you MUST have a known to be good battery to start off with. They can trick you with good looking voltage, but still not possess the oomph to start the bike or take a charge.

I chased a problem like this for a couple of hours on my old GL1000 once. I learned that if everything else seems okay, it is probably the battery. Since then, I have had several batteries fail on me suddenly. It starts fine, I ride it for an hour or two, or all day, then all of the sudden it won't do anything.

With a new to you bike and an unknown age of battery, I would just start by getting a new one. Then check out the charging system to be sure everything is working.

• Member Contributer

I chased a problem like this for a couple of hours on my old GL1000 once. I learned that if everything else seems okay, it is probably the battery. Since then, I have had several batteries fail on me suddenly. It starts fine, I ride it for an hour or two, or all day, then all of the sudden it won't do anything.

With a new to you bike and an unknown age of battery, I would just start by getting a new one. Then check out the charging system to be sure everything is working.

+1 Save yourself alot of trouble ...

Roll On ..

Archived