New Chain And Sprocket Tight Spot?

gig

• Member Contributer

My chain was a bit loose so adjusted just before Tmac. Last day of Tmac was loose again, so adjusted again knowing it was a sign I needed new chain and sprockets(15,000 miles). When i got home on center stand I noticed it had bad tight spot at this adjustment? So put on new "quality" chain and sprockets and I still have a tight spot. Checked for tight links and riveted link and sprocket in round with dial gauge, all is good. I have adjusted in the middle of these two extremes, but the tight spots are still a bit tight and loose spots a bit loose...

Any thoughts??

• Member Contributer

i checked over the winter and it was fine 3,000 mile ago, and i don't think it could effect chain tension?

• Member Contributer

Got it. I marked the chain and sprocket where tightening and it was the rear sprocket that was tightening chain in rotation not the chain. Used calipers to check but could not find anything in different spec, so I turned the non specific direction sprocket around and voila. There must be a slight difference in teeth i can't detect. Yes its 2:45am, i woke up at 1;45 and could not go back to sleep until i figured it out, now that I've had coffee i guess I'm screwed, but the bike is now good! Would this be considered an addiction or just an obsession?

• Member Contributer

Drink whisky till you pass out and fall asleep

easy fix

:-)

• Member Contributer

Got it. I marked the chain and sprocket where tightening and it was the rear sprocket that was tightening chain in rotation not the chain. Used calipers to check but could not find anything in different spec, so I turned the non specific direction sprocket around and voila. There must be a slight difference in teeth i can't detect. Yes its 2:45am, i woke up at 1;45 and could not go back to sleep until i figured it out, now that I've had coffee i guess I'm screwed, but the bike is now good! Would this be considered an addiction or just an obsession?

You sound normal to me !

Who made the sprockets ?

• Member Contributer

Super light sprockets "520 steel" w/ DID ZVM-X chain, I've had two previous and they were great and held up great, ill email them and request a replacement.

Stick with oem grade sprockets, like sunstar ect, their specs are going to be a lot tighter than some of these 3rd party guys.

Sunstar is an oem manufactuer , so if they make a 520 for the vfr it will be precision made. However its foolish to run a 520 on a vfr, even the best 520 is about equal to a cheap 530. and I don't recommend running a cheap 530.

• Member Contributer

Sunstar is an oem manufactuer , so if they make a 520 for the vfr it will be precision made. However its foolish to run a 520 on a vfr, even the best 520 is about equal to a cheap 530. and I don't recommend running a cheap 530.

I was being sarcastic about the OEM 520 sprocket. Until Honda comes out with the HRC kit for the VFR, if we want performance and or lightweight items aftermarket manf are our option. 520 may be a foolish choice for you, but it is great for my needs with great weight saving and wear.

• Member Contributer

Received replacement sprocket, was told they had never an issue with this manf as it is a very high quality sprocket. This new style looks great, and rated for 200+ horsepower.

post-23210-0-70686500-1434220414.jpg

post-23210-0-89973400-1434220450.jpg

• Member Contributer

Tight spot gone ?

Roll On ..

That will be my next purchase !

Roll On ..

X001-Y040.jpg

Superlite 520 Sprocket And Chain Kit - Stock Gearing
$270.99
$203.99 (25% off)

And it's cheaper then what I usually order .

Thanks Grif .

Roll On ..

• Member Contributer

Yes Sprocket Center, the pic is generic, the sprocket will look as mine does. The 520 conversion + a galfer rotor will save you 4.5 lbs of unsprung weight, which is significant. I would suggest the DID ZVM-X chain with conversion.

Roll on!!

• Member Contributer

Received replacement sprocket, was told they had never an issue with this manf as it is a very high quality sprocket. This new style looks great, and rated for 200+ horsepower.

Thanks Griff! I was looking for a quality lightweight 520 conversion for my trackbike project

• Member Contributer

Yes Sprocket Center, the pic is generic, the sprocket will look as mine does. The 520 conversion + a galfer rotor will save you 4.5 lbs of unsprung weight, which is significant. I would suggest the DID ZVM-X chain with conversion.

Roll on!!

New name for our little group , Roll On Bunch :goofy: . Hot Dam that's funny .

ROLL ON !!

Tight spot gone ?

Roll On ..

That will be my next purchase !

Roll On ..

X001-Y040.jpg

Superlite 520 Sprocket And Chain Kit - Stock Gearing
$270.99
$203.99 (25% off)

And it's cheaper then what I usually order .

Thanks Grif .

Roll On ..

Link to that kit?

41hMpHCuhpL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

• Member Contributer

Woo-Hoo!

Nice work, Sir!

HP still climbing at 12k rpm... I'd say she's breathing better!

I know you mentioned the pipes and cams but sell don't yourself short and discount the HRC spec port & polished heads!

I'm curious to see the mid-range and torque curve.

Well done!

????????????? ah wrong post.

Roll On ...

• Member Contributer

Woo-Hoo!

Nice work, Sir!

HP still climbing at 12k rpm... I'd say she's breathing better!

I know you mentioned the pipes and cams but sell don't yourself short and discount the HRC spec port & polished heads!

I'm curious to see the mid-range and torque curve.

Well done!

????????????? ah wrong post.

Roll On ...

I have no idea what your talking about....

:blush:

I was being sarcastic about the OEM 520 sprocket. Until Honda comes out with the HRC kit for the VFR, if we want performance and or lightweight items aftermarket manf are our option. 520 may be a foolish choice for you, but it is great for my needs with great weight saving and wear.

If you were interested in weight and performance , I don't see the reason for a vfr to begin with.

But I always get a kick out of the vfr people who want to mount a dirt bike chain.

Otherwise its all oem and a DID zvmx 530, nothing is going to beat that longevity wise.

• Member Contributer

If you were interested in weight and performance , I don't see the reason for a vfr to begin with.

But I always get a kick out of the vfr people who want to mount a dirt bike chain.

Otherwise its all oem and a DID zvmx 530, nothing is going to beat that longevity wise.

If you are on VFRD with 5693 posts, and yet "don't see the reason for a vfr to begin with", I am not going to be able to explain it to you.

530, best for longevity, got it.

Thx again for your help as always Spud

Archived