Need Help Troubleshooting Rear Brake Issue On A 99

n3xxus

Hello,

Been trolling around this site for a couple of years using everyone's suggestions and experiences; however this is my first time posting here. My '99 is having rear brake issues, I would like to troubleshoot further and try to fix it myself before bringing it in to get fixed at the shop. I think I have narrowed it down to brake fluid not being able to return to the MC. Issue: Rear brake is locked up, rear brake pedal cannot be pressed down, to reset and release, I have to bleed the system at the rear caliper, this release the rear brake, I can drive around a bit and then after a while it will lock up even if just using the front brake, (I guess the rear gets engage because its a linked system). Now I'm guessing the return line to the MC has failed or can it be the PCV? I have checked the pads in the rear brake and are wearing down evenly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Member Contributer

It could be the 16 year old brake lines. They can deteriorate over time internally and a kind of check valve develops to prevent the return of fluid.

• Member Contributer

Well if the rear lock-up happens with just using the front brake, then I'd say the problem is with the secondary master cylinder (on the left fork leg) not allowing fluid to release back from the calliper. I'd start by removing and giving that a thorough clean.

I agree with the above post. There is a small hole in the reservoir it allows fluid back through and my guess is that it's clogged up

• Member Contributer

Push on that secondary master on the front fork. It will take some force. It won't move much but you should be able to push the plunger in and it should go back to it's "released" position quickly. Also, check the return hole in the rear brake master cylinder.

• 2 months later...

Archived