Hot Starting Issue

sikwill

As a precursor I have a VFRness and Rick's installed. I also did a pretty thorough search and didn't see any threads that contained a problem similar to mine.

For the first time today I was somewhat stranded. On 3 occasions my bike had a stumble starting. The 3rd being the worst. The key turns everything on, starter cranks everything fine. That's the common part.

The first time it started for maybe 3 seconds and died. But decided to start right after reluctantly. (This in itself is unusual behavior for my bike)

The second time I stopped for breakfast (like 1.5hrs) and the same thing happened. Maybe a little more reluctant of a start than the 1st instance. In-between these starts I rode for 20-30 miles and it ran flawlessly.

The 3rd time it wouldn't start at all, and I tried bumping 4 times on a hill that kicked my ass. I waited 15min to 25 min inbetween attempts nothing. Gave up called a tow truck Waited 1.5hrs for the truck. Tried to start it for entertainment and it fired right up. So My question is this; Is there a sensor for cold and hot starting? Something that controls air and fuel depending on the temp of the engine? It feels like the choke is on or something when I'm trying to start it up hot. Does that make sense? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Bill

Ok, so it sound's like you changed some things a few weeks back and now you started having problems?

Start with the simple things. Loose battery connections, loose or poorly fitting connectors, anything you might have touched recently.

• Member Contributer

Yea - sounds like if you have a VFRness and an R/R, then you've obviously encountered some electrical issues. I would check all the simple stuff like connections and quality of connections. If you have a poor, loose, dirty connection somewhere, it's effecting everything else.

Have you popped a volt meter on your battery and done basic diagnostics to make sure you are putting the right power out etc?

So I went through everything today and didn't see anything unusual. Snugged up the batt connections etc. I did notice something unusual the 1st time I went to start it again. When I turned my key to "on" the dash lit up, headlights came on, but I don't hear that buzzing sound anymore. Of course this was followed by the bike not wanting to start. Isn't the buzzing sound the fuel pump?

• Member Contributer

Yes, that should be the fuel pump priming. First move would be to check that the connections to it are good.

Fuel pump not running but other lights on could be a loose connection or fuel cut relay. I had a similar issue to what you described where the bike would stop then I could usually re-start. After lots of checks and testing it turned out to be a melted fuse, the main 30A near the battery. The wires were getting hot due to the poor contact between the holder and the fuse. I replaced the holder and fuse and that solved it. It may not be your problem but it is easy to check and cheap to replace if it doesn't look right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I think I have it. I decided to use the troubleshooting steps given in the Repair Manual for the fuel pump. The 1st test is to check for voltage at the connector to the fuel pump.Turned the key on, connector has voltage, then it drops to zero. The manual says in this case to replace the pump. I just ordered one. I hope it was that simple. Seems weird to me that the pump only lasted 40k though. Does this sound typical?

• 3 weeks later...

I cant believe I'm still stuck on this but I made some good progress today. I ordered a new fuel pump and installed it. Kind of a pia. Got everything back together and still the same thing. Everything comes on when the ignition is turned on, no FI codes, no fuel pump priming, cranks over hard, not start. I started going through the 2 million threads and reading old posts thoroughly. I came across one that mentioned bypassing the fuel cut-off. So I did. Keep in mind that it makes a clicking noise when I turn the key on, and tested for voltage at the brown plug under the tank per the manual. When I jumped the connector I heard the pump start running, I hit the starter and the engine started immediately!!! So assuming the relay is bad, where can I get one? This is a cheap test so I'll drop a few bucks to cross this off the list.

Thanks BTW for the countless threads that can be found here. There is a wealth of information if you look hard enough.

I once had to change my on/off rocker switch on the right handle bar. If I remember correctly the bike wouldn't turn over at all though and the fuel pump wouldn't cycle when the key was turned on. I don't know if that helps any. Good luck, it sucks having electrical gremlins.

• Member Contributer

I cant believe I'm still stuck on this but I made some good progress today. I ordered a new fuel pump and installed it. Kind of a pia. Got everything back together and still the same thing. Everything comes on when the ignition is turned on, no FI codes, no fuel pump priming, cranks over hard, not start. I started going through the 2 million threads and reading old posts thoroughly. I came across one that mentioned bypassing the fuel cut-off. So I did. Keep in mind that it makes a clicking noise when I turn the key on, and tested for voltage at the brown plug under the tank per the manual. When I jumped the connector I heard the pump start running, I hit the starter and the engine started immediately!!! So assuming the relay is bad, where can I get one? This is a cheap test so I'll drop a few bucks to cross this off the list.

Thanks BTW for the countless threads that can be found here. There is a wealth of information if you look hard enough.

EBay baby or PartZilla.com if you want new.

Roll On But Don't Fall Off ..

• Member Contributer

Start with the battery for it's the weakest link in the whole system... To
determine the condition of an Maintenance Free battery give it a
refreshing charge... wait 30 minutes... measure terminal voltage...

12.8 or higher is a good battery...
12.0 to 12.8 is a insufficient charge... recharge...
12.0 or lower... battery unserviceable...

It was the fuel cut off relay. I bought OEM. Not a hitch since. In the process I got a new fuel pump and learned a few things about the systems on my bike. I think the manual misled me somewhat when troubleshooting. Now I know exactly where to go 1st when the fuel pump stops priming.

Bought a new multimeter as well which was long overdue.

Archived