Best Noise Isolating Earbuds / Earphones For Inside Helmet Use?

AaronB

• Member Contributer

Those of you riding with earbuds. What's your brand of choice? Something provides hearing protection, but can plug into the phone for music, etc.

• Member Contributer

Big Ear.

Custom molded ear plugs with speakers built in.

Don't know if he's doing it at TMAC, or if you are planning to attend, but member WERA803 is a Big Ear dealer. He can provide you with custom molded ear plugs and/or stereo plugs.

• Member Contributer

I prefer Shure earbuds with the foam sleeves . They are a little pricey but they sound really nice and they really isolate the sound. Once you start using premium earbuds/headphones it really makes all the others sound like shite.

• Member Contributer

The S Plug earbuds from plugup.com. These are the ONLY earbuds that stay in my ears when I pull on the helmet.

Pro-tip: smear some aloe vera gel on them for a smoother, deeper fit.

• Member Contributer

Sena SMH10R with Koss helmet headphones... wow!

I know of Koss headphones and like their stuff but is there a specific part number? I didn't see a "helmet headphone listed.

• Member Contributer

This doesn't really help you but I use disposable ones with a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 32dB. I've yet to find disposable ear plugs with a higher NRR. You can buy a pack of 28 plugs at Wally World for about $7. They work really well.

The reason this doesn't help you is because you wouldn't be able to listen to music or talk on the phone. I don't want to talk on the phone when I'm on my motorcycle (if I need to use it or feel it vibrate, I simply pull over). The reason I don't listen to music is because it makes me ride slow (the opposite of most people) and because it definitely distracts me.

Say hello to everyone in Raleigh for me (I once lived on the SW corner of Glenwood & 440).

Sena SMH10R with Koss helmet headphones... wow!

I know of Koss headphones and like their stuff but is there a specific part number? I didn't see a "helmet headphone listed.

Requires some minor surgery.... check out...

http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1412477

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22105146&postcount=18

and the KTXPro1's.... very inexpensive but sound awesome! :musik20:

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-KTXPRO1-Titanium-Portable-Headphones/dp/B00007056H/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Koss-KTXPro1-Headphones-Pair-/391057670798?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0cda828e

I thought I was the only one! The only time I listen to anything, is when I'm on the highway for a while. Then it's usually comedy podcasts or instrumental music.

The reason I don't listen to music is because it makes me ride slow (the opposite of most people) and because it definitely distracts me.

My $0.02 solution was to take a pair of SkullCandy ear buds, pull the rubbers off, and creatively slide foam ear plugs onto the ear bud. Works amazingly! but the foam degrades after a while and I need to replace them.

• Member Contributer

As far as koss goes, the KSC75 would be my recommendation if you are going to try putting "speakers" inside the helmet. Looks like the same driver as the KTX pro, but maybe not. The part of the KSC75s that goes over your ear is removable. You could simply pull the ear clip off and use some double stick tape to hold them in place. If you don't like it, pull them out and put the clips back on and they are still good. I've actually got a couple pairs of these, but I haven't tried putting them inside a helmet.

For earbuds, the smallest/deepest seating pair for less than $50 that I have found is the AKG K323XS. I have the same issue as digitallyhip in that pulling the helmet on will disrupt the seal of IEMs. Without the seal you get no noise reduction and bass performance suffers. Thanks for the tip on the S plugs, I might give them a shot. I had some Ety ER6i IEMs but they had to be retired when the cable started pulling out of one of the plugs. The ER6is are unfortunately discontinued, however.

Mind you neither of these recommendations is "audiophile" quality, but I'm not really doing any serious listening when I'm riding anyway.

Archived