Dealer Changed Air Filter And Spark Plugs And It Runs Like Crap

Just decided to take my otherwise great running 02 to my dealer for an oil change, and since it has 65,000 miles on it decided to spring for a new air filter and spark plugs. Took it for a long ride yesterday and it is way down on power, and the gas mileage has dropped from the mid 40's to a little over 30.

Hopefully this is as simple as the wrong plugs or not gapped right. Will be taking it back to them tomorrow, any other ideas as to why it's all of a sudden running poorly?

If they touched a gap on an irid, its permanently damaged. the ground electrode is platinum coated, its trashed if you put a tool on it.

Id say most mc mechanics would know better

• Member Contributer

Could be a vaccum line got disconnected and not reconnected...

• Member Contributer

plug wire not attached firmly?

... or they pulled the crimp connector off with the old plug.

Could be a vacuum line got disconnected and not reconnected...

+1... another possibility

• Member Contributer

If they touched a gap on an irid, its permanently damaged. the ground electrode is platinum coated, its trashed if you put a tool on it.

Id say most mc mechanics would know better

No, please don't spread misinformation.

Directly from a tech request to NGK

The coating is not the issue when checking the gap but rather the iridium being such a hard material it is brittle and snap off if gapped improperly. When gapping you do not want to apply any pressure or prying force to the fine wire center electrode or insulator or it can be broken and is not warranted. You want to adjust the plug only from the ground electrode. Sliding a tool across the iridium electrode will not damage it though as long as excess pressure is not applied. I am also including a photo of the proper way to gap the plugs. Thanks.

Best regards,

Brandon Peeler

Technical Support Representative

I have encountered and successfully gapped many iridium spark plugs, you must just be careful not to break or weaken the electrode. That's not saying that some fool tech didn't snap an electrode off and install it anyway...

post-17890-0-37552500-1430789998.jpg

The iridium is on the center electrode of the vfr irds, the ground electrode is coated in platinum.

They are pregapped, if they need to be gapped replace, doesn't matter whether you believe you can regap successfully.

That platinum coating is like butter, and easily damaged.

If you want to play the gap game, fine. But Ive ran the irids as high as 56,000 miles on the vfr, with out touching the gap, to where the platinum coating was gone and so was most of the ground electrode, bike still ran flawless. there 's little point in even touching the gap unless its obviously bent or something, and you'll likely just f it up..

Ive done about 4 sets of irids in my vfr , I do carefully check the gap, and even that can damage the coating.

Did they break something, how is a coil wire loose, as I recall its a snapin fit, no way to come loose unless tab is broke, None the less they fk'd it up and they had 4 chances with 4 different direct fire coils, to do so. Seems they were only successful at causing one to fail.

Original poster here. Coil wire was loose, bike now runs like brand new. Much to my relief

Archived