Are Brakes Fine After Bleeding?

VFRfix

Sorry, I know I have a couple of recent posts - I just want to figure this out out as well...

So if my brakes feel fine and firm after bleeding are they good to go? I mean, later, when I am braking hard, might they malfunction if there is an air bubble in there that might not be showing itself as I test them in the driveway? They seem fine I just want to be careful.

Thanks again

• Member Contributer

If there's an air bubble you'll know it when you try the brakes for the first time. It won't matter if you're on the highway or in your driveway. You notice that it feels "not firm". If it feels firm/solid you're good to go.

• Member Contributer

I have found that if the brakes are bled properly and all the air bubbles have been bled out, the brakes will be fine until you either wear the pads out or you have a leak or other line issue allowing air into the system.

• Member Contributer

For piece of mind, you could crack open the res cover and leave a strong rubber band on the lever over night to be sure all air is out. Just be sure to snug it back down.

• Member Contributer

What I would do is ride it somewhere quiet with little traffic and keep trying the brakes out until I was doing near-full emergency stops. I'd make sure the road surface is good and I didn't lock the front wheel, or if I did, I'd ensure I immediately released the brake lever.

That would either highlight any issues or give me the confidence that I did a good job.

• Member Contributer

Any air bubble in the hydraulic brake system will cause a mushy lever feel; air is compressible but fluids are (practically) not, and it doesn't matter where in the lines the bubble is because all the fluid is placed under the same pressure.

If you've bled the brakes and got a good firm lever feel, you've done a good job and should ride on happily. The only reason you would ever suffer loss of brake pressure is component failure or failure to tighten fittings. I always double check that fittings are correctly torqued up after work like this.

Archived