Is It Easy To Swap The Non-Abs Rear Shock With The Stock Abs Shock?

doubled

• Member Contributer

I've started to go 2 up on the bike more often. I have an 06 non-ABS and the pre-load adjustment is a PITA. Having the remote adjuster on the ABS rear shock would be nice. Anyone one know if this is an easy swap?

• Member Contributer

It is an easy swop but........threading the adjuster through is a bit gyno. You would need to remove the adjuster knob (watch out for the pesky ball bearing and spring) and you might have to undo the bolts to the sub frame to move it back a bit.

• Member Contributer

I did it on my '09 and other than what Egg said, and tapping the rear passenger peg holes to mount the adjuster, there was not much too it. Finding the shock is probably going to be tougher, BUUUUUT, I did see an ABS model shock on eBay about a week ago, might still be there.

• Member Contributer

If you want to install the remote preload adjuster in 1 piece, here's how it's done

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/79986-6th-gen-abs-shock-removal-in-pictures/

If you remove the hose from the pre-load adjuster so you don't need to remove the under seat tray, and don't mind trying to bleed the system, here's info on that

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/80323-6-gen-abs-shock-adjustor-fillbleed/

Is the shock swap itself easy? Yes. Is the fitting the preload adjuster easy? Not so much . . .

• Member Contributer

There are 2 of them in the classifieds section here right now...

Wow, that's kind of rare, but good news none the less.

• Member Contributer

IMO it probably would be easier to go aftermarket - that way the OEM shock's hydraulic hose could be removed from the preload adjuster and removed without much disassembly of the bike. It would though have to be bled if someone wanted to use it later. The downside would be cost.

• Member Contributer

My plan is to have the shock sent away to be upgraded. It would suit my needs and the overall cost would be less than a comparable aftermarket (I think).

---David

• Member Contributer

My plan is to have the shock sent away to be upgraded. It would suit my needs and the overall cost would be less than a comparable aftermarket (I think).

---David

This is exactly what I did with my 6 Gen. Bought the shock for less than $60, sent it to Jamie Daugherty and for much less than after market cost, got a great return on my investment. Even did the fork upgrade too at the time and still beat the cost of most aftermarket shocks alone.

I have thought about doing the same thing with mine as far as swapping over to a shock with the remote pre-load adjuster. I ran across a perfect one last year that was really cheap and for whatever reason, I did not grab it while I had the chance. Now I wish I had. I dont mind to much adjusting the stock shock when needed but that remote adjuster sure would be nice.

Archived