How Do You Replace The Rear Brake Pads?

elfreako

Stupid question; can anyone please guide me on how to replace/check the rear brake pads.

For the life of me I can't quite see how worn they are, nor can I find an easy way to remove the brake unit like you can with the front ones (they were easy). I have a terrible PDF manual downloaded from the internet, but the quality of the photos are poor and I can't quite make out what's pointing to what. Any photos with arrows would be gratefully appreciated! :happy:

I'm fairly sure mine needs a replacement, and if it's as easy as the front, I'd much rather do it myself then pay a shop to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Well, nevermind. I figured it out myself, and it's pretty easy. Just need to push the piston back into the cylinder, undo 1 bolt and pull it out, and then the brake pads just slide up a tad and then out towards the front.

post-30346-0-16454700-1427648981.jpg

The pads were nowhere near worn enough to be replaced. I'd say they still have over half their life left on them.

I bought the bike 2nd hand with 8,500 miles on it, and now it has 15,500 miles on it. The guy never replaced his rear brake pads as he never used the rear brake. So, the brakes are still the same as when the bike was built.

Mahalo. I was curious. I checked the pads when I replaced my OE Dunlops at 8127 with Michwlin PR 4 mainly due to a big puncture on the rear tire. I had hoped to go at least another 500 miles. I do use the rear brakes yet it looked only about half worn. We're due for a brade fluid change.

The guy never replaced his rear brake pads as he never used the rear brake.

So he never used his brakes at all?

The 7th gen has linked brakes, you pull the front lever, it applies the front and rear brakes... You push the rear brake lever, it applies just the rear brake.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something :P

The guy never replaced his rear brake pads as he never used the rear brake.

So he never used his brakes at all?

The 7th gen has linked brakes, you pull the front lever, it applies the front and rear brakes... You push the rear brake lever, it applies just the rear brake.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something :P

Well, more precisely; he never used his rear brake leaver, hence why it was only half worn. And you are correct, front applies rear, but not rear applies front.

front brake lever DOES NOT apply rear brake on the VFR1200F....rear pedal applies one set of pistons in the left front caliper

it's easy to prove with a center stand

front brake lever DOES NOT apply rear brake on the VFR1200F....rear pedal applies one set of pistons in the left front caliper

it's easy to prove with a center stand

Sorry, you are right. I knew what I meant, but it came out wrong when I wrote it :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add a note, Ive a 7th gen , linked braking system..

But the rear pads are urgently due for replacement, noted via MOT

Even the mechanic checking couldn't understand due to the link braking system..

Cheers for all the info, I should be able to just slide the rear pads in ..

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Suspect rear pedal was not adjusted correctly and the riders foot in the resting position has actually been slightly applying the rear pads and wearing them out.  What was the disc like?  

DB1_5297.JPG.a066d501991a558ca911e5dc18fDB1_5298.JPG.92bd8d72ee84fd983862bb0159e
The main reason why I even checked it was because the rear brake was dragging like crazy so I went to clean it and saw that (was planning on riding tomorrow ,I did the front a month ago and there was a lot of meat left so I didn't bother to check the rear

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

If the rear pedal is not being operated by your foot in the rest position then I would be stripping the caliper as it looks like you may have one or more sticking Pistons. From the photo of the disc you have some surface rust on the rotor which would indicate you live and ride in a high moisture area which could also assist in gumming up your pistons. You mentioned that you recently cleaned the front brake calipers what were they like?

The front brakes were alright I just wanted to see how much meat I had on them and since I took them apart I might as well clean them, I just ordered a EBC rear brake pad for $28 can't go wrong with ebc

my rear brake was dragging on my 2012..burning up rear pads and coating the wheel with dust....when i replaced the pads i removed the caliper bracket  and greased the slide pins with some high temp brake grease....it's been a couple thousand miles since and there is a lot less dust on the wheel.....the brake pedal is adjustable up and down if you think you are dragging it with your foot....2 lock nuts on the linkage under the master cylinder

• Member Contributer

Yep.  And if you screw something up whilst doing it you are very unlikely to say nothing and hope you don't notice...

Ciao,

I rode about 100 miles yesterday and today to bed the brakes in and everything seems fine, the money I saved by not going to the dealership got me nice steak dinner with drinks(tasted good), if you read the service manual(assuming you have one) it's kinda hard to mess up,I think there's even a couple video's in YouTube that shows you how to do it

Archived