My New To Me 02 Vfr!

ManoWar

Hey Guys,

It has been 5 long years since i have been on a motorcycle. I had to sell my 3rd gen when i got back to university.

Now i have moved continents (from Canada to Austria) and have finally purchased the bike i used to dream of! The 6th generation VFR!!!

I purchased an 02 with 48k on it from a 71 year old original owner. The price was 3400 euros (yeah, i know, bikes are pricey over here :(, an 07 runs you around 7000 ) and i already put around 1000km on it in the first 2 weeks :). Damn, it is the best method of transportation (although subway is faster :D) when you consider free parking in the city of Vienna. :)

Whenever i park it, i find myself staring at it for a few minutes, i simply find it that beautiful! :)

Now with the questions and concerns...

Bike is a 2002 Non ABS with 48,000km, Arrow slip on, PC 3 installed, high airflow filter, OEM Hard bags, custom seat and never down. (All the mods i wanted to do)

The bike is a bit rough at low speeds, Idle is set around 1400, and it is a bit choppy until 3-4k (compared to the 3rd gen carburated model i had) at low speeds. The idle seems to be very stable though.

The VTEC transition is a pain in the butt. First time on the highway i thought something was wrong with it until i looked at the RPM and saw that it was right at 7000.

The bike is a tooth down on the front so 7000RPM in 6th is around 150-160km/h (94-100 mph), which is EXACTLY the cruising speed on the highways here. When keeping the throttle in a cruising position, the transition sometimes is rough, and sometimes there is a sudden loss of power before the 4 valve kick in.

The PC 3 map that i found on it was M111-501 (Stock exhaust, stock European Model, o2 eliminator)

I installed the M111-506 (Leo Vince, no baffles, k&n filter) and it does run a bit better, but still to choppy for my liking.

It stalled 3 times already (2 times before changing the map, once since) . Basically it becomes really choppy, and it idles around 700-800 before it just dies. It starts back up straight away, and it also goes away if i rev it past 5000rpm. It happened once at 80c engine temp, and the other time at 100, right before the engine fan was about to kick in. Of course this was all in stop and go traffic at under 10 degrees temp (50ish fahrenheit).

Now i have changed the oil, but forgot to check to see if the o2 sensor mod was made. How can you tell if the 02 sensor has been disconnected?

I also have not checked the air filter, but somehow i have a feeling that it comes either from the o2 or from the rectifier (i will install a voltage meter on the dash to keep an eye on it). Battery was changed the first night i got it, and i somehow doubt it is from there.

Any ideas? :-s

Also, what other mods do you guys recommend?

I have spent a fair bit browsing the forums and seeing what is up.

Hope to find this community the same way i left it, simply amazing! :)

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Welcome back! You have to remove the left body panel and look just under the engine to see if the O2 sensors are disconnected or not. That being said, the sensor connectors (wire loom side) should have terminators on them. Although a little more pricey, you can always take your bike to a shop that does Dynotune service and see if they can't get rid of the issue.

Oh yeah, pics of your new to you ride are always welcomed too!

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

All is forgiven !!

Welcome to the asylum. One thing you might want to check out is the air box. Rodents have been known to make nests in the box during storage. Makes for rough running.

Switchblade will be along shortly with the pics of the mess.

Over to you Switch,

Thanks guys! :)

It sure is good to be back.

I have put quite a few Km since my initial post.

I even took off all electrical connections this past weekend and gave it a good dialectric grease smudge :P.

All is good except that damn VTEC,

on my ever increasing to do list i am looking at the following:

- Front springs

- Rear shock

- Revert to original front sprocket

- top case

:D

• Member Contributer

I even took off all electrical connections this past weekend and gave it a good dialectric grease smudge :P.

- Front springs

- Rear shock

- top case

Be sure to check out Daugherty Motorsports (a VFRD member) for your suspension upgrades. He's famous for making VFR suspensions what they should be. Many have said it is the best upgrade ever; including me.

Here is a link:

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com

I'm also a 'new to me' 2002 owner. 8200 miles on mine, when I picked her up about a month ago. Since then, I've put about 700 miles on her. Been riding the snot out of it, and enjoying most of the miles. Have already modded a few things, and there's no sign of slowing down. The addiction is real. Enjoy her in good health. I will say, unless you really think you're gonna use the luggage, get rid of the brackets. Makes a big difference in the aesthetics.

• Member Contributer

- Front springs

- Rear shock

- top case

Be sure to check out Daugherty Motorsports (a VFRD member) for your suspension upgrades. He's famous for making VFR suspensions what they should be. Many have said it is the best upgrade ever; including me.

Here is a link:

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com

+1 !

Archived