Anti-Ride Report! No Clutch!

• Member Contributer

Nice! Onward and Upward! Give for you Joe. Hope it goes better your next attempt.

• Member Contributer

Was this the first time you saw the bike in person? Did you get to test ride it? I hope the current owner is paying for the repair.

No, I saw the bike in person but it was blocked in the garage by a bunch of junk and the weather was below freezing. I tested everything I thought to test. Lights, blinkers, brakes, etc but didn't even think to throw it up on the center stand and run through a gear or two. The bike is PRISTINE! It's at a private mechanic's place in Lindenhurst and the previous owner is going to take care of the bill. Hopefully I'll have her by Saturday.

• Member Contributer

If it has been sitting for a while the clutch plates will sometimes stick together, making the bike stall when putting it into gear with the clutch pulled in. Easy fix there. No teardown at all.

• Member Contributer

If it has been sitting for a while the clutch plates will sometimes stick together, making the bike stall when putting it into gear with the clutch pulled in. Easy fix there. No teardown at all.

I thought about that as well huntinggunns. The clutch pull did not feel weak so this may be the case. The bike was sitting for a while in some very cold temps. It was started every two weeks (or so he said). I will report here when the trouble is discovered.

• Member Contributer

did you look in the clutch reservoir? chances are the fluids are low/jellied....

Yup there was some jelly looking stuff in there! The guy had minimal tools and he needed to be somewhere so I couldn't dig into it. The bike is at a mechanic now so I'll see what the cause was.

• Member Contributer

As Huntinggunns suspected, the clutch plates were stuck together from lack of use. The mechanic sent me a video and the some of the plates couldn't even be pried apart by hand! I'm glad I didn't spend too much time trying to bleed the clutch. Easy fix and I should have her Saturday with a new clutch. Onward and upward...

• Member Contributer

Usually you can get the engine fully warmed and bounce them loose after shutting down the motor. I have had to pull a clutch pack before, but only once. Glad you found it an easy problem to fix.

• Member Contributer

Hi Joe,
I live in Brooklyn, have had a 2006 VFR and for about 3 years and am pretty familiar with the bike so if you need any advice or to look at something let me know. The seized plates was my guess also. Usually that happens if the bike has not been started for a long time so the mechanic should give the other fluids a look over while he has it.

• Member Contributer

Usually you can get the engine fully warmed and bounce them loose after shutting down the motor. I have had to pull a clutch pack before, but only once. Glad you found it an easy problem to fix

The mechanic sent me a video

Cool. I have never had a mechanic do that. :cool:

Stay tuned for my next Blog post!

Hi Joe,

I live in Brooklyn, have had a 2006 VFR and for about 3 years and am pretty familiar with the bike so if you need any advice or to look at something let me know. The seized plates was my guess also. Usually that happens if the bike has not been started for a long time so the mechanic should give the other fluids a look over while he has it.

I'm going to give it the once over with all the fluids! I love working on my own bike and now I have a place to do it at Ryders Alley, a garage in Manhattan with a common work area.

Archived