Opinions Needed And Appreciated

mv577

Hello All...

I own a 2002 VFR800 non-ABS that I bought new in 2002. I have never had one problem with the bike and she currently has approximately 25,000 miles on the clock. In the last few years I have been getting into taking long trips with my VFR and love touring. Longest trip so far was 2,500 miles, 11 states in 6 days ;)

In July I am going to be riding my bike across country from MA to CA taking 2 weeks to do so (one way). I began searching the forum for any issues I should think of while prepping the bike for my trip. To my surprise I found post after post about problems with the VFR's stator, R/R and overheating wiring.

I am happy to say I have not had any of the stated issues. I have stripped my bodywork and checked every connection over the last few days and have not found any sign of melted wires / connectors etc.

Through reading this forum I also realized that I never had the product update done, although I remember being notified, that upgraded the stator and flywheel. My engine number is below the listed value that says I should have the underpowered setup although I have not had a charging issue over the years. (That I know of, no voltmeter installed)

So here's my dilemma... what to do before my trip.

1) Leave it as it since I've never had any issues and assume I won't during my trip

2) Upgrade stator / flywheel with kit 31100-MCW0325 (my research says this is the latest P/N) and carry a spare R/R

3) Upgrade stator / flywheel, R/R and install VFRness to cover all my bases...

I have the ability, tools and knowledge to do the work so cost would be parts only... and will be installing a Datel voltmeter regardless of the decided option :)

Anyway, I'm at a loss here and would be grateful for any thoughts... I'd much rather spend the money on the trip rather then the parts but obviously don't want to be stuck in the middle of the country either ;)

Thank you in advance,

Mike

• Member Contributer

#3, & search/read electrical topics this forum, I seem to recall issues with the main wiring harness. Dubious grounding?

Searching and reading about the issues is what's led me to this post lol... I feel more educated about the VFR charging system now then I ever thought I'd need to be ;)

I'm just wondering why my bike has not seen any issues and worry I'll open up a can of worms if I don't leave well enough alone...

Me, I would let it be and ride. You have looked everything over and havent found any obvious signs right? Put the money to the trip and if something happens then it happens, at that point revert to plan B or C or D or whatever you need to do. You will have the voltmeter that can help catch things before they get to far gone. Anything can happen at anytime, it adds to the game if you ask me. Part of the journey is the unexpected......

• Member Contributer

you may be one of the lucky guys.....voltmeter is a good way to tell trends if you watch it for a fair while. might be fine to just carry a small assortment of repair bits & tools. rr is easy to have with you, go for it!

Yup... no signs of an issue... the bike has been a typical Honda in my experience... Maintenance items only...

If the snow here in Massachusetts melts before July I hope to get some saddle time with the meter installed to watch what it does...

Doesn't sound like you run any/many accessories, fuse block, gps, elec grips, phone charger.

I'd say carry a replacement VFRness and R/R (at a minimum a spare three wire connector) since you know your way around a wrench. Wiremybike.com is your friend!

From what I've read, 6th gen Stators avg. between 40-60K mile lifespan. I'm aoproaching 50K with orig. Stator and R/R but replaced connector/wires between the two (smoked).

If your batt. is older, I'd say drop a new one in or carry a newer 1pd. Ion spare for back up. A volt meter install is a great idea.

I have a cigarette lighter plug direct wired to the battery that charges my phone... Only accessory I've ever used... Don't think a smart phone pulls too many amps...

Battery was new last year and I actually remembered to put it on the tender this year! lol

I like the idea of having some spares on hand... I plan to have a good tool kit with me so a few more items won't hurt.

Honestly I'd rather spend the money on Helibars rather then a stator upgrade... My 40yo wrists will appreciate those ;-)

• Member Contributer

Keep a spare R/r maybe. Install a voltmeter for peace of mind. You can pull 100W no problem. Smart phone is probably 20W at full bore. Think the limit is 150W-200W.

I might pull the stator cover and take a look. If it doesn't look like it's starting to burn up, I'd leave it alone.

• Member Contributer

Hi Mike,

You cant guess the health of your system unless you test it. So with that....... Do "the drill"....... as below. Write down the numbers and this will point you to if anything needs fixing.

The onboard voltmeter is a very good idea....

Go through all your connectors for burnt leads, dig deep. Crispy wires? Not good. Your gonna have to fix that!

Then---Go through this starting point quick list. You will need a multimeter too.

Steps:

- Recharge battery overnite - then to take it to Autozone, Batterys Plus or similar to load test. -- Good? Bad? – An iffy battery can fake you out and act like a bad R/R. Buy new if needed.

- With good battery fire it up, warm up for a minute or two.

These are R/R quick checks---

--- With voltmeter at battery get voltages -- idle volts? 5000 rpm volts? What’s the numbers? Should be in 13ish min idle and in 14s at revs. If in the 12s at idle, try at 1900 rpm. (It’s not unusual for the system to be in discharge or no charge at idle.)

- Check stator

- 1. Pull connector apart. Set meter to resistance. Check pin to pin stator side, 3 yellow wires, A to B, B to C, C to A. What’s the numbers? 3 separate readings --Should be less than 1.0 ohms. (Engine off)

- 2. Check continuity from each A,B,C pin stator side to ground, -- -should be infinity - nada nothing. no continuity. -- 3 separate checks. (Engine off, again connector is apart)

- 3. Crank it back up. Do another pin to pin thing, but set meter on AC volts. idle and 5000 rpms. What's da numbers? Should start 15 -20ish and climb 50ish and more. Again – 3 readings stator side connector and still apart.

- Repeat hot.

This quick list will catch the obvious stuff, but if you need to dig deeper check this chart. (Some guys like this chart, my taste, I don’t care for it.)

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

• Member Contributer

Pull the stator cover and inspect the stator.

It could look like this (after 18,000 miles).

gallery_20057_7246_294045.jpg

The connectors (especially to the R/R) can be helped out by using some Oxgard (available at most home centers) to reduce corrosion and promote conductivity.

81RY1BEsYTL._SY355_.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So... it looks like one of those lol... I have the upgrade kit ready to go in... although I saw no issues... glad I opened it up and will have the piece of mind knowing it's brand new while crossing the country :) Thanks again for the replies...

20150318_211415.jpg

Archived