Maintenance - Do I Need A Stand?

Speeder

Guest Recalcitrance

Get a stand. Get two. Center stand is nice but you need a front stand and a rear stand if you plan on getting into the bike. Kick stand is definitely not enough.

And it's just good in general to have stands if you plan on doing work.

• Member Contributer

I went with the center stand, but my understanding is that if you add a front stand while the bike is on the OEM center stand, the back wheel will hit the ground (e.g., you need a board under the center stand to keep the rear high enough off the ground when using a front stand, or take the rear wheel off first...)

OEM stand can be found for less than $200 shipped.

-Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I had the Honda center stand on for about 2 seconds before replacing with my own home brew paddock stand. The centerstand just wasn't wide enough to be stable when using a front stand.

• 2 weeks later...

i've had both wheels off using the oem center stand and a floor jack....no stability issues

• Member Contributer

Check on CL or eBay, there are some really good stands out there. I found a couple of PitBull stands, both for less than $100! The one stand I was really hoping to get but they don't make for the 5/6 Gens is the Bursig stand. http://www.bursigusa.com/a little pricey but very useful in the garage IMO.

It'll be unlikly that your carying a padock stand when your out on the road and get a rear-wheel (why is it almost always the back wheel I wonder) puncture. A main stand was one of the first things I added to my new aquisition. The other was, of course, a radiator stone guard.

it's almost always the rear tire that gets punctured because the front wheel usually hits an object lying flat on the road and kicks the object up where it can puncture the rear

Plus the front is much slimmer so the probability of getting nailed is lower. It'll have to be almost dead center for it to penetrate.

• 2 months later...

I have an OEM centre stand I just slip on when doing any serious work on the bike. Needless to say, works perfectly and doesn't weigh the bike down when it's off. :biggrin:

i've had both wheels off using the oem center stand and a floor jack....no stability issues

Yup...same ting worked for me on last tire change operation ...it helps to have some bits of 2x4 lumber for props ...in the boonies, rocks or branches work fine

• 1 month later...

I went with the center stand, but my understanding is that if you add a front stand while the bike is on the OEM center stand, the back wheel will hit the ground (e.g., you need a board under the center stand to keep the rear high enough off the ground when using a front stand, or take the rear wheel off first...)

Yes, that is basically true, but it does somewhat depend on how high the front stand lifts the front end.

I had the Honda center stand on for about 2 seconds before replacing with my own home brew paddock stand. The centerstand just wasn't wide enough to be stable when using a front stand.

I totally disagree with this. I have used the centre stand for all the work I've done to my bike and there is NO problem with stability - except under one condition. If I try to jack up the engine to raise the front wheel off the ground, unless the rear wheel is in place the jack will just raise the whole bike and the centre stand comes off the ground, which is NOT a good thing. It's just down to the balance of the bike and if the rear wheel is in place the extra weight at the rear means the problem doesn't occur and the front wheel will lift as desired.

But, the centre stand allows the entire rear end to be removed which you can't do with a regular rear paddock stand. Not that you can use one of those with the VFR1200 as Honda chose to make the rear axle solid.

Ultimately you need a selection of different stands to be able to do everything on a bike. No one stand can do everything.

• Member Contributer

I have an OEM centre stand I just slip on when doing any serious work on the bike. Needless to say, works perfectly and doesn't weigh the bike down when it's off. :biggrin:

+1

Yes, the weight of that center stand really is noticeable. . . wtf

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

To give the rear wheel sufficient clearance, you may want to place a board(s) under the centerstand (see photo).

But my front stand and centerstand allowed me to get BOTH wheels off the ground and install a new shock and remove the front forks.

44_150721.jpg

Archived