Talk Me Out Of Replacing This 6Th Gen Stator . . .

Cogswell

• Member Contributer

VFRor, yours looks well on its way...

Here my (4th gen) with 50k miles on her; I could have continued with this one no problem

attachicon.gifIMAG2863.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG2858.jpg

Looks totally melted just not burnt, its a short out at any moment

Naa I just think thats the oil changing the color of the epoxy , not from heat .

• Member Contributer

I'll keep my fingers crossed for 'ya. Mine lasted 18,000. (To be fair, it was still working ok, but the end seemed to be drawing closer rapidly).

• Member Contributer

I'll keep my fingers crossed for 'ya. Mine lasted 18,000. (To be fair, it was still working ok, but the end seemed to be drawing closer rapidly).

It always happens when your 100-150 miles from the house or in my case it happened twice when I was 100-150 miles from the house .

• Member Contributer

My 07 RWB ended this year's riding season a few days early by eating its stator. Mileage is around 45,000 miles IIRC. I haven't pulled the cover off yet, but all the electrical tests indicate she's pooched. Lots of corrosion in the connections, too, so I'll be doing all of the little maintenance I should've done last spring when I bought her. :wacko:

On a separate note, my '95 stator looks as good as new, with 67,000 miles on it. They don't make 'em like they used to, or something... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I gave my re-would stator a workout today - 120 miles running my heated gear. It produced a steady 14.5 to 14.6 volts the entire ride. :cheerleader:

My 07 RWB ended this year's riding season a few days early by eating its stator. Mileage is around 45,000 miles IIRC. I haven't pulled the cover off yet, but all the electrical tests indicate she's pooched. Lots of corrosion in the connections, too, so I'll be doing all of the little maintenance I should've done last spring when I bought her. :wacko:

On a separate note, my '95 stator looks as good as new, with 67,000 miles on it. They don't make 'em like they used to, or something... :goofy:

You shouldn't have corroded connections, that's separate issue from stator failure. Ive changed stators on a few different bikes, never any wiring corroded issues. And that's just making sure the connectors have a positive mechanical connection and protected with wd40 ONLY!!

The connector issue may be cause additional heat stress within the stator.

The old gen also doesn't have the output of the 6thgen, but has far more kronic RR issues.

• Member Contributer

You shouldn't have corroded connections, that's separate issue from stator failure. Ive changed stators on a few different bikes, never any wiring corroded issues. And that's just making sure the connectors have a positive mechanical connection and protected with wd40 ONLY!!

The connector issue may be cause additional heat stress within the stator.

The old gen also doesn't have the output of the 6thgen, but has far more kronic RR issues.

Yeah, I just mentioned the corroded connections as a separate thing on my to-do list, I measured the stator directly so I didn't get any false readings.

Archived