Oil Light On, Bike Won't Start

RogueWave

I have had this bike for about six weeks. I start it up in the garage once or twice a week to keep the engine ready. Today, I get an oil light and the bike won't start. It also makes a strange sound.when the electrical power is on.

the sound that you hear is the fuel pump pressurizing the EFI (fuel injection)....a soft whirring sound after you turn the key on ???...... the smart electronics don't like low voltage...i keep mine on the battery tender if it's not going to be started for a few days or more.....still on OEM battery since sept 2011

Thanks for the car battery warning, Switch. I have considered doing that.

Yes Ishark, it's a whirring sound. I don't know anything about bike maintenance. I have considered taking a class in motorcycle mechanics.

that sound is normal....the EFI system operates under very high pressure...the fuel pump needs to develop this pressure whenever the key is turned on

A lot of good stuff on the Internet .

or just ask us....lol

• Member Contributer

that sound is normal....the EFI system operates under very high pressure...the fuel pump needs to develop this pressure whenever the key is turned on

A lot of good stuff on the Internet .

or just ask us....lol

" I have considered taking a class in motorcycle mechanics. "

Were good BUT dont know about conducting MC mechanics classes .

have you gotten it started ?? is it the battery...the oil light should be on if the key is on and the engine is not running

• Member Contributer

If you start the bike to warm it in winter, you need it to get to full heat, so at least 2 fan cycles. You also need to make sure it does NOT warm at idle after the first minute or two, use something to lock the throttle at 3000-4000rpm, this will ensure that the battery is recharged, which will NOT happen at idle ! Then the battery will be ready to play next time you need it !

• Member Contributer

Battery tenders do NOT help the bike, only the battery. I have always found that a good 30minute sustained Rev run once a month keeps everything lubed, stops the battery going flat & allows you to check everything over. If you don't use the bike for long periods, then use a flat bar or wide tipped screw driver to force the pads & pistons back into the calipers, once everything has had a good clean.

• Member Contributer

OK, thanks. Is it because it's not getting run much?

That, and the OEM battery is close to 5 years old. By keeping a tender on them when not in use I've had batteries last over 8 years, and I'd guess that 10 or more is possible. Time, heat and vibration eventually take their toll on batteries whether on a tender or not. There are lightweight Li-Ion batteries available now you might want to check out.

Battery tenders do NOT help the bike, only the battery. I have always found that a good 30minute sustained Rev run once a month keeps everything lubed, stops the battery going flat & allows you to check everything over. If you don't use the bike for long periods, then use a flat bar or wide tipped screw driver to force the pads & pistons back into the calipers, once everything has had a good clean.

wow thnx for clarifying that for me, i was wondering why my battery tender wasn't maintaining the air pressure in my tires

• Member Contributer

I never keep my batteries on a charger but if the weatehr stays cold for 2 months or I don't run the bike for 3 months then I will charge the battery for 4 hours or so on a tender and then run the bike for a 1/2 hour. 8 years is the usual life I see if I keep the bike that long.

It won't push start. I was at a shopping center when the starter just turned a second. I tried to push start but even with a good samraritain's assistance pushing (it's a heavy bike), it wouldn't start, but a second w/ jumper cables and it was running. After an overnight slow charge, it's been good for the last two weeks.

i have 3 bikes, the VFR12 is my main ride.....the Valk and the Interceptor are on the tenders whenever they are in the garage, the VFR lives on the carport most of the year and only gets plugged in if it's in the garage for the winter or i'm not riding for more than a few days....it's supposed to be near 50F today so i might get out and scuff up my new front PR4...then she's going in and the snow blower is coming out !!

• 2 weeks later...

So it does not recharge in idle, that is good to know, thanks. So how long should it be run to keep the battery happy?

If you start the bike to warm it in winter, you need it to get to full heat, so at least 2 fan cycles. You also need to make sure it does NOT warm at idle after the first minute or two, use something to lock the throttle at 3000-4000rpm, this will ensure that the battery is recharged, which will NOT happen at idle ! Then the battery will be ready to play next time you need it !

Archived