What's Up With D.i.d?

jeffyjeff

• Member Contributer

It's time for a new chain and sprocket set on my 98. Last time I went with OE. It's a DID chain and sprocket set, and I have over 40,000 miles on it. I would like to go with DID again, but Service Honda wants something like $340 for the OE set. I went on Bike Bandit and Dennis Kirk, and even the DID website, but for some reason, the DID kits only go back to 2002. What's that all about?? Is there significant difference in the sprockets for a 5th gen and a 6th gen? Are they interchangeable? I suppose I could order OE sprockets and a #530 DID chain separately, what a hassle. Anybody here recommend an RK chain? Any other recommendations? Thanks, Jeff J.

• Member Contributer

SprocketCenter.com has fair deals. Yes 6th gen and 5th are compatible with one difference. 6th gen is -1 tooth on the front sprocket which is my preference. Only down side is the lack of accuracy of your speedo. Which will indicate about 10mph faster at freeway plus speeds. Everything else is an improvement. Power delivery and fuel efficiency. Plus with the speedo showing higher than actual I have managed to not get speeding tickets on my VFR. http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/street-sprocket-applications/honda/vfr-800f-1998-2001/sprocket-chain-kits.html

• Member Contributer

RK Chain is top notch at least as good as D.I.D, a sprocket is a sprocket is a sprocket. They are not hard to change on our bikes, so pays ya money & takes your choice.

I have an RK 525 x-ring conversion on mine with over 5k miles on it, it's like new from a wear perspective. Doesn't have all the colour options, but once covered in road dust & lube, who cares !

It's time for a new chain and sprocket set on my 98. Last time I went with OE. It's a DID chain and sprocket set, and I have over 40,000 miles on it. I would like to go with DID again, but Service Honda wants something like $340 for the OE set. I went on Bike Bandit and Dennis Kirk, and even the DID website, but for some reason, the DID kits only go back to 2002. What's that all about?? Is there significant difference in the sprockets for a 5th gen and a 6th gen? Are they interchangeable? I suppose I could order OE sprockets and a #530 DID chain separately, what a hassle. Anybody here recommend an RK chain? Any other recommendations? Thanks, Jeff J.

An oem front sprocket is about $56 from say RonAyers, A zvm DID chain about $160, unless you ran no lube or light lube, I doubt a (real oem steel) rear sprocket is bad. But that would be another $60. So that's about $276 total. The kits are all about sacrifice for price, I never run those mainly cause of the cheaper grade sprockets they include.

add free shipping with secret code, not bad

• Member Contributer

SprocketCenter.com has fair deals. Yes 6th gen and 5th are compatible with one difference. 6th gen is -1 tooth on the front sprocket which is my preference. Only down side is the lack of accuracy of your speedo. Which will indicate about 10mph faster at freeway plus speeds. Everything else is an improvement. Power delivery and fuel efficiency. Plus with the speedo showing higher than actual I have managed to not get speeding tickets on my VFR. http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/street-sprocket-applications/honda/vfr-800f-1998-2001/sprocket-chain-kits.html

+1 D.I.D ZVMX Gold series chain to the door was $127, did not need sprockets.

• Member Contributer

Just finished installing a new chain and sprockets. DID 530VX X 120ZB, 23801-MAT-760 17T Honda countershaft sprocket and 41201-MBG-000 Honda rear sprocket. They loaned me a RK Excel installation tool and the total cost was $193.83. Hoping this will be the last chain replacement I will have to do on THIS bike.

Archived