Any Known Non-Dct Tranny Failures?

2FAST4U

• Member Contributer

For some reason I'm unable to post a direct link to the eBay auction, but if you do a search for auction #251664322620, you'll see the bike. The seller is an authorized Honda dealer.

I don't ever recall reading about a standard tranny failure on the 1200.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

@ Ishark. That's what I'm thinking, too. And who knows how close the engine is to throwing a rod or how close the bike is to blowing the rear end (or whatever you call a bike's equivalent of a ring and pinion.)

I'm thinking I should get a '10 since I'd want to have it painted white, anyway. There are definitely deals out there on 1200's. In the last month alone I've seen a new '10 for $7,999, a new '12 for $9,999, and a new '13 for $10,999. All non-DCT's.

• Member Contributer

@ Ishark. That's what I'm thinking, too. And who knows how close the engine is to throwing a rod or how close the bike is to blowing the rear end (or whatever you call a bike's equivalent of a ring and pinion.)

I'm thinking I should get a '10 since I'd want to have it painted white, anyway. There are definitely deals out there on 1200's. In the last month alone I've seen a new '10 for $7,999, a new '12 for $9,999, and a new '13 for $10,999. All non-DCT's.

There is a used '12 near you on CL that you could get for $8500.

About 1/2 the time, my '13 won't shift from 2nd to 3rd (it misses) if I run hard from 1st to 2nd and keep full throttle while in second and momentarily let off throttle (fraction of a moment) as I slam the kicker into 3rd. The work-around for my problem is to fully disengage throttle while in second (literally feel the drive train backlash) for just a moment before shifting into 3rd. This problem occurs only when I run hard and keep power on while shifting and the bike is hot.

In otherwords, I can't drag race without hesitation as I slam from 1st to 2nd to 3rd.

• Member Contributer

@swimmer Yeah, I've seen that, I wrote the guy's number down until I can decide what I wanna do.

Suzuki just unveiled at fully-faired sport tourer at Intermot. When Yamaha introduces their 2015 sport bikes at EICMA next month, it's gonna be interesting to see if they come out with one, too. Alternatively, if they redesign the FZ-1, I'd like to see what it looks like with full lowers. The current generation FZ1 looks good with them.

post-8583-0-99718300-1412347184.jpg

• Member Contributer

@swimmer Yeah, I've seen that, I wrote the guy's number down until I can decide what I want to do.

Exchanged some emails with the seller, seems like a decent guy.

Archived