Need To Change A Tire, But Have No Stands...

marriedman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I just got home from taking the wheel off. With the stand that I borrowed, no matter the position the ABS sensor is in the way. I do not like the stand at all and I can guarantee that I will not be using them again. I put the axle back through the forks and put a jack stand under it just in case.

I have been on the fence about what kind of stand I will be buying and I am pretty sure it is going to be the ABBA stand. That way I can have both wheels off the ground at the same time and nothing is in the way of the rear wheel, front wheel, and forks. And it comes out to about the same as the two PitBull stands I was considering.

abba-front-lift-arm-01.jpg

• Member Contributer

Pitbulls are the only choice for me but get what works for you. The Pitbulls are so well made they will outlast me (I'll be in the ground in other words) so I don't even bother looking elsewhere.

between the center stand and this, that's all i need...and a small wooden block ...and the forks can be removed ....about $30 at Lowes

post-23916-0-49852200-1412209120.jpg

this one will easily lift the VFR or Valkyrie to a nice working height....about $150 from Harbor Freight

post-23916-0-75833500-1412209561.jpg

you could always make your own stand for free :)

materials
- old junky STEEL mountain bike from craigslist for free
-cut off wheel/grinder
-welder
this stand is 100% from the bicycle. The supports are off the swing arm, the part that holds the hub pin is the steering stem, the 2 steering stem mounts are pounded into the steering stem after taking out the bearing races and that holds the hub pin securely. I have to make a handle for it but right now it works fine. After a shake test with the wheel turned to the right it didn't move so I have confidence in the stand.
the victim
20140922_082309_zpsil2oi9fe.jpg
was going to use a 9/16 impact socket as hub pin but steering stem fits perfect.
20140922_082323_zps6drim4jt.jpg
it begins
20140922_090158_zpsfxpscxb2.jpg
used my normal stand for reference
20140922_092755_zpsqtwmjxf3.jpg
swing arm used as supports
20140922_092758_zps0pq4gqr6.jpg
main parts cut up
20140922_092816_zpsxrsudy7u.jpg
2 of these 4 rings are used as races for the hub pin. they are aluminum and need to be shaved down on the outside and inside just a hair but nothing drastic.
20140922_101318_zpss40rq17t.jpg
going into stem
20140922_101415_zpshb1bg6qm.jpg
bubble is close enough
20140922_102305_zps8fstd5hh.jpg
tacked up
20140922_104114_zpsefav75ok.jpg
main part is done, just have to cut off excess tabs
20140922_114619_zpsyc9hm2di.jpg
you can see races in stem for hub pin
20140922_120025_zpshym7blu2.jpg
done but a little wobbly at first
20140922_122853_zpsm7igscp9.jpg
20140922_131825_zpswn3kjdbo.jpg

trying to figure out a good brace position
IMG_20140923_075944_zps77irxsxf.jpg
my attempt at fish mouthing the tubing went ok
20140923_081340_zpsbmyturo9.jpg
this could work but I changed it at the last minute
20140923_083251_zpsw3jpjvkm.jpg
I turned the single bar 180 degrees but its hard to tell in this picture
20140923_091818_zps0vom3sxn.jpg
here she is doing her thing
20140923_093027_zpshzh8sobh.jpg
and finalized product before paint and cleaning up the welds
20140923_093226_zpsfe9pdlol.jpg

you could always make your own stand for free :)

materials
- old junky STEEL mountain bike from craigslist for free
-cut off wheel/grinder
-welder
this stand is 100% from the bicycle. The supports are off the swing arm, the part that holds the hub pin is the steering stem, the 2 steering stem mounts are pounded into the steering stem after taking out the bearing races and that holds the hub pin securely. I have to make a handle for it but right now it works fine. After a shake test with the wheel turned to the right it didn't move so I have confidence in the stand.
the victim
20140922_082309_zpsil2oi9fe.jpg
was going to use a 9/16 impact socket as hub pin but steering stem fits perfect.
20140922_082323_zps6drim4jt.jpg
it begins
20140922_090158_zpsfxpscxb2.jpg
used my normal stand for reference
20140922_092755_zpsqtwmjxf3.jpg
swing arm used as supports
20140922_092758_zps0pq4gqr6.jpg
main parts cut up
20140922_092816_zpsxrsudy7u.jpg
2 of these 4 rings are used as races for the hub pin. they are aluminum and need to be shaved down on the outside and inside just a hair but nothing drastic.
20140922_101318_zpss40rq17t.jpg
going into stem
20140922_101415_zpshb1bg6qm.jpg
bubble is close enough
20140922_102305_zps8fstd5hh.jpg
tacked up
20140922_104114_zpsefav75ok.jpg
main part is done, just have to cut off excess tabs
20140922_114619_zpsyc9hm2di.jpg
you can see races in stem for hub pin
20140922_120025_zpshym7blu2.jpg
done but a little wobbly at first
20140922_122853_zpsm7igscp9.jpg
20140922_131825_zpswn3kjdbo.jpg

trying to figure out a good brace position
IMG_20140923_075944_zps77irxsxf.jpg
my attempt at fish mouthing the tubing went ok
20140923_081340_zpsbmyturo9.jpg
this could work but I changed it at the last minute
20140923_083251_zpsw3jpjvkm.jpg
I turned the single bar 180 degrees but its hard to tell in this picture
20140923_091818_zps0vom3sxn.jpg
here she is doing her thing
20140923_093027_zpshzh8sobh.jpg
and finalized product before paint and cleaning up the welds
20140923_093226_zpsfe9pdlol.jpg

that's awesome dude.....i was relieved to see the brace added, the first pics of the bike off of the ground were a little scary

erbilabuc, that's quite a job. Poor bicycle sacrificed at the Altar of Motorized 2-Wheeling.

BTW, Gen 7 doesn't have a thru hole on the rear hub, so a rear stand like that won't work. I do have a T-Rex SSSA rear stand for my S3R that basically works like yours. I bought it for $75 used IIRC.

• Member Contributer

I have more than one way to do this, for fork service needs I use the eye hooks in the garage rafters in conjunction with the center stand. for quick and easy wheel removal I use a front stand I got from Cycle Gear. Not the best, but it works in a pinch, I also have a Pitbull rear stand that I got for $80 but it's for traditional swing arm bikes, mostly for helping non VFR owners with their bikes.

Not sure why you don't like the rafter idea Marriedman, as long as you get the appropriate eye hooks (I got the type intended for a swing set, they hold up to 250lbs each.) I also have a ratchet tie down that is rated really high (don't recall the rating off hand though) so far no issues. What I really want is one of the Burgis Bursig stands but they still don't have the mounts that work with the VFR800! It works like the Abba stand except it has wheels so you can move the bike around. Perfect for storing and/or maintenance.

No doubt the Burgis is "It". But they are pricey. Abba has one that you can wheel around too.

Duc2V4 - Here is one for the VFR800

http://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=sky-lift&pid=44

skylift2.jpg

the one for the 1200 is a little different:

abba-moto-glide-01.jpg

My thing with hanging from the garage rafters is down to 2 issues.

1 - Shit. My wife has so much shit up above it's not even funny. Also, the previous owner of my house has a nightmare mass of wiring running too and fro. There is so much shit going around the rafters, sitting on top of them, nailed or bolted on them.. To try and hang something from them is a pain.

2 - My own incompetence. Last time I had the bike hanging from them I did it wrong and notched my head bearings. mello dude swears that when he rode my bike he didn't feel anything, but it was driving me crazy. Replaced them and the problem was gone. So I blame hanging the bike. Another friend hangs his ZX-14 all the time when working on it and swears there is no problem. But why risk it when there is an elegant solution that is not that expensive?

• Member Contributer

The Abba stand appears similar but with exchange rates comes out a little more than the Bursig, at least with the current exchange rate and comparing the VFR1200 (Bursig) with the VFR800 (Abba). Ironically, Abba doesn't make the Skylift for the VFR1200 so I couldn't do an apples to apples comparison. Although right now Bursig does not have a kit for the VFR800, I did however correspond with someone via email at Bursig USA and they appear to be interested in making them for the VFR800.Note that I also inquired about my Duc too.

Dear Darryl,
I just received a reply from BURSIG in Germany. They are building an adapter plate for the 900SS as we speak. They also said that there will be something available for the VFR800 at some point but it might take a bit until they are able to launch that application.
I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Patrick Schrickel

Bursig Bike Lift Systems
Max MOTO, Inc.
REMUS Exhaust Systems
Melvin Brake Systems

Abba Skylift is not available on website for 1200 but if you call them they will supply them for vfr1200

Due to no hole through rear axle - you need to use a double strap to strap the bike to the stand to stop it rotating during lifting - or I should say control the rotation

They suggest using rear passenger grab rail - they say they have a few customers who do this

I talked to the Canadian distributor about the stand, I even got them to make a dedicated offer for the VFR1200:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABBA-FRONT-REAR-STAND-PACKAGE-HONDA-VFR1200-2010-to-current-NEW-/200961632101?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eca3f2765&vxp=mtr

That is everything you need to lift both wheels off the ground. After screwing around with the cheap stands to put a wheel on, I am looking forward to buying this.

• Member Contributer

But why risk it when there is an elegant solution that is not that expensive?

Exactly. You bought an expensive motorcycle but a couple hundred bucks in proper, well made, bulletproof stands are gonna put you in the po' house?

A stem stand from Pitbull will allow you to remove the front wheel or completely remove the front forks. The rear stand they offer is VFR1200 specific but would easily sell when/if you change bikes. You can often find a stem stand used on ebay, craigslist, etc. The rear VFR1200 stand, probably will have to pony up.

I think I have 5 Pitbulls. Two spool mount, both bought used for $100 a piece, the VFR1200 rear stand bought from RidersDiscount (I know a guy) for a considerable discount, a stem stand (with a box of pins to fit anything I've owned thus far) bought used for $100 and a bottom fork stand bought new for $120.

They have another benefit and that is keeping the tires off the floor when there is downtime (winter!). Hunt around bro. You'll find some used ones somewhere. All the ones I've bought used have been from folks selling bikes and getting out of the sport.

I think I have 5 Pitbulls. Two spool mount, both bought used for $100 a piece, the VFR1200 rear stand bought from RidersDiscount (I know a guy) for a considerable discount, a stem stand (with a box of pins to fit anything I've owned thus far) bought used for $100 and a bottom fork stand bought new for $120.

When not in use, hang them on some bicycle hangers from Home Depot or Lowes. :beer:

gallery_1859_4603_847188.jpg

gallery_1859_4603_203076.jpg

But why risk it when there is an elegant solution that is not that expensive?

Exactly. You bought an expensive motorcycle but a couple hundred bucks in proper, well made, bulletproof stands are gonna put you in the po' house?

A stem stand from Pitbull will allow you to remove the front wheel or completely remove the front forks. The rear stand they offer is VFR1200 specific but would easily sell when/if you change bikes. You can often find a stem stand used on ebay, craigslist, etc. The rear VFR1200 stand, probably will have to pony up.

If I were to go the Pitbull route, it would be $170 for the front and $180 for the rear stand. I have not found them on Craigslist in my area nor on ebay currently. So that is $350. If I go the Abba route, it's $250. Still not cheap, but not as much as the Pitbull. Abba stands are pretty well respected and are supposed to be of good quality. I have no doubts that Pitbulls are as well. But I prefer the form factor of the Abba. It breaks down and appears to be more easily stored.

They have another benefit and that is keeping the tires off the floor when there is downtime (winter!).

The Abba does this also, but with just the single stand. I wouldn't need one for both ends of the bike:

$(KGrHqRHJBQFHm(hR16dBSCq,dVGv!~~60_1.JP

I spoke with the Canadian distributor and got them to list the VFR1200 specific complete package on their ebay store:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABBA-FRONT-REAR-STAND-PACKAGE-HONDA-VFR1200-2010-to-current-NEW-/200961632101

There are some videos of how it works. I know Pitbull works well for many people. But for what I am wanting, I believe the Abba is the better way to go.

Thanks for the advice and tips though!

EDIT

Found a picture of the VFR1200 specific Abba stand, but without the adapter to allow both wheels off the ground:

Hon-VFR1200-1.jpg

If you are gonna be riding a motorcycle for long... any motorcycle, you need to quit the accounting bit and buy a good front wheel stand. Period. And preferably one that has a steering stem adapter.

For me, the same goes for a rear stand. I agree using a front stand first to prop up a bike is dangerous business. If at all possible, I fit a center stand on my streetbike. A friend of mine picked up a nail on his ride to work, then parked it on the sidestand all day long. By the time he was ready to ride home, his rear tire has gone flat and the bike fell over to the right. Away from home, if I park my bike for any longer than 30 mins, it goes on a center stand.

As for hanging from the rafters... I think it is a great "back-up" method of securing a bike up right. I do it when I have to work on my bike with some muscle, and center stand alone might not be secure enough. I would NOT want to use the rafter ties as the primary means of lifting up a bike.

Yes, a lot of us have more stands than we have bikes.

If you are gonna be riding a motorcycle for long... any motorcycle, you need to quit the accounting bit and buy a good front wheel stand. Period. And preferably one that has a steering stem adapter.

Sorry, can't do that. I am too tight with my money! Being so frugal has enabled me to buy and sell bikes when I wanted and quickly buy another.

I will of course spend what I need to get quality equipment though. But I still don't think I need to have a front stand if the Abba will lift the front end off the ground as it is advertised. Plus I will be less likely to trip over the thng

The straps to a rafter is definitely not something I am comfortable doing except as a stabilizer.

Sorry, can't do that. I am too tight with my money! Being so frugal has enabled me to buy and sell bikes when I wanted and quickly buy another.

I will of course spend what I need to get quality equipment though. But I still don't think I need to have a front stand if the Abba will lift the front end off the ground as it is advertised. Plus I will be less likely to trip over the thng

The straps to a rafter is definitely not something I am comfortable doing except as a stabilizer.

Nothing wrong with being frugal. I am too. My GF says I'm cheap, but I think frugal is a better word. I am willing to spend money on good quality stuff that will last a long time. :beer:

The Abba lift seems like it will work for you. One thing I would think about though is if you do swap bikes regularly, does Abba make adapters for all of the bikes and at what cost? The front and rear stands sound like they are more upfront cost, but also more universal for future bikes. There are several on Craigslist around me. Too bad shipping to you would end up killing the good prices.

Archived