180/55 Vs Stock 170/60 Rear Tire

Waller

Through poor planning, I find myself with wear bars showing on my rear tire (shinko 009s installed by previous owner) the eve of my first track day.

No problem, the track day organizer can bring me a set of rosso corsa diablos, but he only has a 180/55 for the rear. I am replacing a 170/60

Should I be concerned, or just go have fun?

Also up for comment, I am a novice rider, and ride mostly almost exclusively on the street, are these tires a remarkably bad choice?

• Member Contributer

The tire size should not be a big concern IMO, and apart from being a pure sport tire, the only detrimental issue I see on the street will be longevity. My Duc had a 170 on the rear and I put a 180, as the Pilot Power 3 did not come in a 170 size and so far I have not had or noticed any issues, coincidently the Q2's (great sport tire) I had on it before the PP3's barely lasted 3k miles before I had to look for a new set. Again great grip, but longevity did suffer.

The third gen has a 5,5" wide rear wheel, very suitable for a modern 180/55 tyre. For the last years I have put 180 tyres on the rear, went back to a 170 (OEM size) once as some claimed it wil steer the bike quicker. Well I have to disagree and my next tyre was again a 180 and I'll stick to that size.

For you it is not the width of the tyre that will be most noticable but the type. The Rosso Corsa Diablo is a sport tyre, very different profile compared to the Shinkos. They will offer quicker turn in and lots more grip, good tyre for a trackday. You'll like them on the street too, apart from the rate at which they wear :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

if you have a 91 put a 180 on it or trade me your rear rim for my 4th gen rim and I'll throw in a new 170 tire

If you have a 4th Gen with the standard 5 inch wide rim, it will end up pinching the 180 section tire and distorting its profile which can usually resort in really weird handling, specially in slower speeds where it feels like the bike is falling into turns...... if you have at least a 5.5 inch wide rim as with the 8 spoored on the 3rd Gen, the it will be OK to go with a 180 section rear tire....

Archived