6Th Gen: Led Headlight Conversion

Guest DannyMoto

Guest DannyMoto

I've decided to upgrade to LED headlight bulbs on the 06' VFR.

I have H4 LEDs rated 3000lm low, 3600lm high. Both of which are cooled by fan and heat sync.

Now, on the Honda we all know that the H4 only uses the low-beam, and then it uses the H7 on the high-beam. I've seen the attached diagram used to hard-wire both Low and High to work simultaneously on the H4, along with running the H7. So, in theory, you'd have 6 filaments running at once on high-beam, and 2 on low-beam.

Honestly, having the amount of Lumens that these bulbs do... I only need to be running an H4 in each bucket hi/lo and have no use for the H7. Plus, I don't want to be completely illegal / obnoxious with that much light coming from the front of my bike.

I have 2 different ideas.

-Leave the stock wiring in-place, and the stock relays.

1. Unwrap both High and Low beam leads.

2. Remove power lead from the H7 connector.

3. Place it into the open clip on the H4 connector.

At this point, the High/Low will operate on 1 bulb, with 1 connector, using the OEM harness and relays and you will have an un-used ground left on the H7 harness which can be plugged back into the H7 and left alone.

OR-

Do steps 1 through 3 above.

4. Splice the low-beam power lead and run a jumper from it, to the H7 connector where the old high beam lead was removed.

5. Install a low-wattage, low-lumen H7 LED as a "running light" (can be white or amber in most states).

At this point, your High/Low will operate on 1 bulb, with the 1 connector, using OEM harness and relays and you will have a running lamp in the old high-beam slot which will be on at all times.

-----------

I figure LED's run a lot cooler, and draw a lot less than a standard halogen, so it shouldn't damage the harness or housing in any way, and might prevent future damage to the R/R buy lowering over-all draw.

The one thing I want to figure out is... if I run a 5 pin relay and run the low-beam through it (like in the picture)... can I get it so that the low beam and running lights are on all the time, and then when I hit high-beam it's JUST the high-beam on...

If I can figure out how to get that to work, I may put an in-line switch to the driving lights... that way they can be controlled by a switch as a "fog light" and will kick off automatically when the high-beam is turned on.

This setup will be the most "legal"... Lows on all the time, driving light optional, and high beam is ONLY the high-beam when turned on. (Plus, I can run yellow H7's as driving lights, which is what I do on my car in the fog lights.)

Thoughts?

post-26909-0-37451300-1410447660.jpg

WATTAGE / LUMENS:

LED H4: 40/30w 3600/3200LM HI/LO 6500K x2 = 80/60w 7200/6400LM HI/LO

LED H7: 6w 260LM Single Yellow 2000K x2 = 12w 520LM Driving

H4: 60/55w 1650/1000LM LO only 4000K x2 = 120/110w 3300/2000LM

H7: 55w 1450LM HI only 3500K x2 = 110w 2900LM

Function:

Stock:

Low Beam ON = 110w on low beam circuit (2 H4s, 2 filaments total) / 2000LM

High Beam ON = 110w on low beam + 120w on high beam circuit (2 H4's, 2 H7s, 4 filaments total) / 4900LM

LED:

Low Beam ON = 60w on low beam circuit (2 30w H4 LEDs, 2 LEDs total) / 6400LM

Low Beam ON + Driving Light ON = 72w on low beam circuit (60w 2 H4 LEDs + 12w 2 H7 LEDs, 4 LEDs total) / 6920LM

High Beam ON = 80w on high beam circuit (2 40w H4 LEDs, 2 LEDs total) / 7200LM

All-in-all a 20-25% decrease in over-all wattage, 110-200% increase in over-all lumens.

This may sound ridiculous and I don't lay claim to these manufacturer numbers until I actually plug in my meter and start taking measurements... Also, the LED light is not as concentrated as a Halogen; most halogens are a yellow to pale white in color (3000K-4500K), the LEDs are white to pale blue (5000K-6500K) so it also gives the illusion of being brighter.

The scattering affect of these LEDs is going to be the main factor. Perhaps, at the LED core, it's 3600LM (1 LED), but put that through a silicone filter, an epoxy lens, refract it inside of a headlamp, and through a clear plastic cover... I'm probably expecting around 2000LM-2700LM at best.

Unfortunately I can't measure Lumens / Candle Power, but I will be sure to do a side-by-side comparison to see how much brighter these really are.

• Member Contributer

"Unfortunately I can't measure Lumens / Candle Power, but I will be sure to do a side-by-side comparison to see how much brighter these really are."

You can measure with your eye's. Just be sure to do a before and after pic's.

Set the photo shots up so you can use something as a reference .

• Member Contributer

I don't know anything about the effectiveness or efficiency of the H4 and H7 replacement bulbs but a friend of mine here sells (and of course uses) Tesla LED Driving Lamps - http://www.teslaleds.com - which consume 28 Watts each while putting out 3600 Lumens. These things are seriously nuts. When George comes along it's like friggin' E.T. is landing. I pretty much need sunglasses and SPF75 when he's around.

If 7200 LM in a flood pattern is that much light, a properly shaped headlight pattern should seem even more impressive.

Those probably utilize the same LED diode that the high-beams in the H4 use and just use a different wattage.

They're pretty impressive! Doing a lot of searches for LED headlight conversions and it seems to be much bigger in the offroading community... jeeps, etc... light-bars... big impressive spot lights.

I quickly stuck this set in my car (because it was easy to do so) on the passenger side... stepped back with low-beam on. I could look directly into the headlight on the halogen side... and could barely squint at the LED side. It puts my fog-lights to shame... haha.

I actually have a set on order for my car. Different Lumens 2600/2000LM hi/lo, per bulb.. and a set of 881 yellow fog-light bulbs. Should look pretty dashing to say the least.

• Member Contributer

I don't know anything about the effectiveness or efficiency of the H4 and H7 replacement bulbs but a friend of mine here sells (and of course uses) Tesla LED Driving Lamps - http://www.teslaleds.com - which consume 28 Watts each while putting out 3600 Lumens. These things are seriously nuts. When George comes along it's like friggin' E.T. is landing. I pretty much need sunglasses and SPF75 when he's around.

If 7200 LM in a flood pattern is that much light, a properly shaped headlight pattern should seem even more impressive.

Where are George Telsa LED's mount on his bike ?

• Member Contributer

Having done the LED headlight conversion on my 2000 VFR I have to admit to beng very impressed with the overall light output, beam spread and look of the LED's. I have heard that there have been a few people with issues regarding the power supplies failing causing the bulbs to fail, and vice versa. Me personally, I have over 6000 km's and they have been working flawlessly since they were installed in Dec last year. Hopefully mine and yours will work flawlessly for a lengthy period of time.

What kind of LED lights did you decide to go with?? Just curious as to the manufacturer, and good luck with the project.

• Member Contributer

Having done the LED headlight conversion on my 2000 VFR I have to admit to beng very impressed with the overall light output, beam spread and look of the LED's. I have heard that there have been a few people with issues regarding the power supplies failing causing the bulbs to fail, and vice versa. Me personally, I have over 6000 km's and they have been working flawlessly since they were installed in Dec last year. Hopefully mine and yours will work flawlessly for a lengthy period of time.

What kind of LED lights did you decide to go with?? Just curious as to the manufacturer, and good luck with the project.

Mine too seem to be terrific and are from lifetimeledlights.com. I wish I had also bought the H7s, though.

• Member Contributer

How did you go fitting them to the 6th Gen

I've looked and thought the heat sinks would get in the way with the rubber seal on the back of the bulb.

Got any photos of them installed, from the back side?

One other thing.

The standard Hi beam has a different shaped reflector and this is where we get the better depth of light penetration.

I myself would leave the Hi beam on the upper reflectors due to this fact alone.

Cheers

Phil

They're not in yet. I've been toying around with them in my car which also takes H4's... just so I can see how to seal them.

The fan shroud on the back cannot be blocked by the boot.

The silver series lights are a little bigger, but have a removable fan, so in theory, I could put the bulb in, cut a small (1/2 inch) hole in the rubber boot, slide it over the bulb stem, then screw on the fan to keep it water tight.

It's either that, or disregard the boot entirely, and apply a very thin layer of silicone to the edge of the bulb seat and let it dry to create a formed rubber gasket. I will be documenting the entire process. No worries.

• Member Contributer

Yep, that is what I was thinking as well.

They do need protection from direct water spray

The silver series might be the go.

I personally recommend getting projectors if you're concerned about light scattering. In the search for better light at night, I got myself 4 Bi-Xenon projectors in my '03 VFR so I can use either 2 or 4 Low at the touch of a switch. It did a great job in the forest - the guy behind said that I saved him from a good goggling with his poorer light (single H4). I have to admit though that the installation was a bit of p.i.t.a. :wacko:

See if you can find some projectors that can accommodate LED bulbs and go for it.

Mine look something like this http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/64251-headlights/ and this http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/64252-headlights/

• Member Contributer

George has 'em on the fork legs of his current bike, on the brake caliper bolts. That tends to be the easiest, most popular spot. When he saw my new 8th Gen a few weeks ago he was already eyeballing where we'd be putting the set he was convincing me to buy. :wink: We think they'll fit just dandy there.

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a set before the U-Haul driver did in my 4th Gen.

There's a thread about his stuff on ADVRider.com:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767257

• Member Contributer

George has 'em on the fork legs, on the brake caliper bolts. That tends to be the easiest, most popular spot. When he saw my new 8th Gen a few weeks ago he was already eyeballing where we'd be putting the set he was convincing me to buy. :wink:

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a set before the U-Haul driver did in my 4th Gen.

Thanks .

Got the SPDT relay today. Had accidentally bought a DPST the other day and figured that out the hard way.

If anyone is looking to do this you need Single Pole, Double Throw... this means the two "to accessory" poles are independent, and throwing the relay or turning off the relay powers either/or. Normally these are numbered 87 and 87a.

On the DPST, it's Double Pole, Single Throw... meaning it's just an on/off for both poles simultaneously... both are numbered 87 in this case.

Quite the price difference. DPST was 6 bucks, SPDT was $14, but it's made a lot nicer, and is actually sealed... the DPST I could open with a screw-driver.

• Member Contributer

How did you go fitting them to the 6th Gen

I've looked and thought the heat sinks would get in the way with the rubber seal on the back of the bulb.

Got any photos of them installed, from the back side?

2CMXX3I.jpg

Archived