Another Vf1000F

wpbarlow

• Member Contributer
I had one for ~50,000 miles back when.

ALeftLower.jpg

I bought a 2006 VFR (2nd one of those) a couple months ago, and it must have somehow triggered a desire for another VF.

So.....

vf1000%20a-L.jpg

vf1000%20d-L.jpg

Looks better in the pictures than it does up close, but it's not too bad. It has a couple of issues, but seems to run, turn, and stop about how a 30 year old motocycle should. I have a logical/expected list of things to replace/rebuild/upgrade. Most of the maintenance items &consumables seem to be available.

Could probably use a new left side under seat panel and rear wrap-around section, so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for that. The shock seems to have an air pressure leak, and I heard Daugherty Motorsports is the solution for that.

One quick question-- do the wheels from the VF1000R fit the VF1000F without too much effort (i.e., using the F brakes)?

I'm aware of the Robyn Landers site and V4 Market. Any other "must have" info sources?

TIA

Walter

• Member Contributer

That is beautiful Walter. The R rims should go on with little fuss. I'd swap in an R swingarm as well, they just look cooler. I think the R's rear rotor is smaller and probably needs the R caliper to match it which means the R's brake arm which means a custom front mounting point for the brake arm.

• Member Contributer

Nice looking F. What Kel said, swapped in the R swingarm and wheels/brakes on an F myself. The front mount for the brake isn't too hard to figure out, copied another member's approach.

I just saw a pristine F being broken up and sold for parts on eBay. The body panels looked like NOS. They're probably gone now but might be worth checking.

• Member Contributer

That is beautiful Walter. The R rims should go on with little fuss. I'd swap in an R swingarm as well, they just look cooler. I think the R's rear rotor is smaller and probably needs the R caliper to match it which means the R's brake arm which means a custom front mounting point for the brake arm.

Thanks for that info Kel. R swingarms and stuff are readily available, so it wouldn't be hard to source. With stock cans the swingarm isn't very visible, but a lot more is visible with the Yosh exhaust.

• Member Contributer

Nice looking F. What Kel said, swapped in the R swingarm and wheels/brakes on an F myself. The front mount for the brake isn't too hard to figure out, copied another member's approach.

I just saw a pristine F being broken up and sold for parts on eBay. The body panels looked like NOS. They're probably gone now but might be worth checking.

Thanks.

Do you have a link to any pics of your bike with the R wheels and what you did or what you copied?

I saw a picture of an F with white wheels and it changed the appearance/impression of the bike-- looked much "lighter" and surprisingly good.

Edit-- here is the pic. From member VF1000RS. Different wheels (F2?) and R swinger.

ScreenHunter_98%20Sep.%2010%2011.50-M.jp

Walter

• Member Contributer

Here's some pics. Both Tom (VF1000RS) and I did the F2 front wheel and CBR900 (5.5") rear wheel. The F2 rear (5") is also a good fit.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/37075-vf1000r-rebuild/page-2#entry497894

Pic of my F with the R wheels.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/37075-vf1000r-rebuild/page-3#entry507272

Pics of Tom's bikes.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/26108-Big-F-project

• Member Contributer

Pretty sweet! Thanks.

Do you know if the just the R front wheel can be swapped in, using the F forks/rotors/calipers?

I wonder how the R wheels would look powdercoated white on the F. I like the way the white wheels give an airy look to the bike.

• Member Contributer

Not sure on just the wheel, there may be some differences in rotor offset or wheel spacers, best bet may be to give it a try. The forks are basically the same quick release style and 41mm as I recall, but the wheel may be different axial width and/or rotor spacing?

Gawd that Big F is a beauty. :blush:

dsc03218y.jpg

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know the paint code for the bright/shiny engine covers? Or is it just some generic type of heat resistant engine paint?

The rear fender and turn signals are pretty weathered and beat. I found this link re painting molded color plastic http://www.ehow.com/how_4894829_paint-molded-plastic.html and it seems pretty straight-forward.

Some of the surface is pretty rough, so I'm thinking I need to do some sanding (against the advice in the link I provided). If so, should I use a plastic primer paint, lightly sand it and then paint (as I'd do for any painting)?

I suspect some of you have done this to good effect, so any process tips and recommendations on paint brand?

Thanks,

Walter

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know the paint code for the bright/shiny engine covers? Or is it just some generic type of heat resistant engine paint?

The rear fender and turn signals are pretty weathered and beat. I found this link re painting molded color plastic http://www.ehow.com/how_4894829_paint-molded-plastic.html and it seems pretty straight-forward.

Some of the surface is pretty rough, so I'm thinking I need to do some sanding (against the advice in the link I provided). If so, should I use a plastic primer paint, lightly sand it and then paint (as I'd do for any painting)?

I suspect some of you have done this to good effect, so any process tips and recommendations on paint brand?

Thanks,

Walter

I think they powder coat them a shiny silver .

• Member Contributer

I've powder coated many, many engine covers in various shades of black, chrome with super high gloss clear topcoat, etc. The covers on my VF1000F are gloss black with white lettering just like they came from the factory.

20140309_210455_zpsqonwdti5.jpg

I can help with your restoration if you're interested. Just drop me a PM.

Tom

Archived