6Th Gen Weight? Wet Or Dry?

• Member Contributer

Anybody got some (semi)accurate weights of a 6th Gen?

Curious about the actual weight of my '04, I recently had an opportunity to measure her tonnage. The scale I used is at a local kart track where I work and the owner assured me that it was accurate. I have my doubts since it weighed in at 440 lbs with a full tank of fuel. Than again I did take off the peg feelers. :goofy:

I believe it was Larry that used a couple of bathroom scales, one under each tire. Any input as to how accurate that would be?

Mostly Stock:

Stock seat w/cowl

Grab handles

ZG shortened DB Screen

Throttlemeisters

No rear sail/license plate

No passenger pegs

No tools

No mirrors

No peg feelers

Elka shock w/preload adjuster and remote res.

Interweb Specs:

Dry: 470 lbs

Wet: 538 lbs

• Member Contributer

I believe it was Larry that used a couple of bathroom scales, one under each tire. Any input as to how accurate that would be?

There are a few steps an owner can take to gain a greater degree of

accuracy when weighting a bike with a single scale... first make sure

both wheels are equally raised above the ground... because with one

wheel raised on the scale and the other wheel on the ground more

weight is bias towards the lower wheel... next lift and set the bikes

weight vertically with the aid of a motorcycle stand and not just roll

it on... and finally take a photo for your records and post the

results...

Since 1998 I've removed 30 lbs from Mr.RC45 with mods recorded in list

below... currently its down to 405 lbs ready to roll minus gas... my

goal is 400 lbs...

Mr.RC45 Front Weight 212 dated 2012

3773579807_bfbbb6d803.jpg

Mr.RC45 Rear Weight 195 dated 2012

3773579809_17b10c0c0a.jpg

Well for some reason I never considered the basic house scale method for weighing my bike! With it nice and flat I came out to 510lb. wet+full tank of gas. I may weigh it again without the massive gas tank holding me back!

-Drew

**Also, correct me if I'm wrong but "wet" means oil, coolant, plus enough gas to run so wet+full tank would be the proper way to say that?

• Member Contributer

Kerb weight is the correct term but wet is often used, because manufacturers used to always quote dry weight. Kerb weight is often wrong when quoted by manufacturers, as they often only include 5 or 10litres of fuel !

2002 press pack claims 213kg (468ib) dry weight. http://www.hoc.org.uk/gallery/press/2002/2002_VFR.pdf

Plus 16Kg for fuel, plus 4Kg coolant, plus 3Kg oil, plus 1Kg fork/shock oil. Gives a total of approx 237Kg (521lb).

2005 press pack include full details, kerb weight *=ABS version;-

244kg (537lb) (F: 117kg; R: 127kg) (*249kg (547lb) (F: 119kg; R: 130kg))

http://www.hoc.org.uk/gallery/press/2005/2005_VFR.pdf

I did some tests weighing mine & have heard all the stories as Larry describes about ensuring the bike is level. That is ONLY required if you want an accurate front rear weight number, rather than percentage front/rear bias figure. It makes no real difference & if you use one scale on flat ground, then the figures are very close for each end but the total is the same ! Because the fulcrum point is constant, so the front rear bias percentage works out the same.

Remember front/rear bias should only be measured with a fully kitted rider on board, as it can change significantly with the rider aboard.

• Member Contributer

using the cart scales, weigh the bike+your self holding the bike upright on both wheels

Then weigh just yourself

subtract your weight from total weight?

Archived